• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-805a

MtnSnow

The trick when converting a 3 phase Gen to "single" phase 120/208 is to load the two 120v feeds as evenly a possible since it is now wired in zig-zag from the Wye configuration.
ZIGZAG-sm.jpg

RobGlass

The trick when converting a 3 phase Gen to "single" phase 120/208 is to load the two 120v feeds as evenly a possible since it is now wired in zig-zag from the Wye configuration.
View attachment 523078
While I am in no way an expert on this stuff I have learned quite a lot from this guy on Youtube:
sewerzukThis was his response to another on your same concern:

"It isn't a problem as long as you don't exceed the current limits for a single leg (this is why you're limited to about 2/3 of rated power). The tech manual even says that pulling single phase power is permissible, provided the current limits aren't exceeded. I've heard the "uneven heating" and "unbalanced load" myths too. These generators are designed to work this way! Other generators' instrumentation, control, protection, and excitation systems may not allow single phase operation; but with the MEP's it is just fine."

MtnSnow

Can you load up the Gen on just a single leg and have it work...**** yeah but it won't enjoy it and in time you will incur downtime because of it. Run it as you see fit but for longevity balance the loads. (While I don't claim to know it all and I will never know it all, I work work with Diesel generators almost daily in my day job managing Data Centers ranging from 300KW to multiple 1MW paralleled units)

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i don't see how this information can be correct. the 805 is a 10 wire, 3 phase ONLY generator. it cannot be wired in the common ziz-zag that 12 wire machines can. there have been quite a few posts in the past few years about the 805, everyone hopes it can be made single phase, it cannot. the best you can do is 120/208 from four of the 6 windings and have just 20 kw for your house. it will seem like single phase but the phase relationship is 120°, not 180°

tim292stro

Quick Google provided this: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?130403-MEP-805a-reconfigure-to-single-phase

Before you get excited about the thread title the summary is "no". You might need to look into 3-phase to 1-phase converters (though I'll admit I've never heard of anyone doing that way). I'm guessing you miught have better luck replacing the generator head, or just "becoming one" with the idea of using three phase...

tim292stro

Without knowing if it can be done to code, I'd say maybe look into a variable frequency drive (essentially an inverter)? Though again, I've not seen a 40HP version that does single phase...

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
yes there are ways to use it, but again, the question is often asked and there are many of these being auctioned off. it is 3 phase ONLY. also consider that each of the 3 windings in the head are in series and cannot be paralled. this is how it has 2 voltages, the neutral end of one winding to center tap is 120 volt and to high end of winding is 240 volt. from any center tap to another tap is 208 volts. from any 2 high ends is 416 volt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks