• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-805b starting problems

Skeeterspete

My MEP -805B will start and run for only 2 seconds then shuts down with a blown fuse behind the control panel, it's a 3 amp round fuse. Any ideas, need help. Thanks Skeeter

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you looked at this book yet?

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-9-6115-671-14.pdf

Do you know how to properly opererate this gen set? Is it grounded to a grounding rod of some kind? Are the batteries fully charged and hooked up correctly? Does the set have an acceptable amount of fuel? Does the fuel gauge show less than 5%? Does the set continue to run if you hold the start sw to the start position? Does the set continue to run when you hold the fault reset in the reset position? Does the set run in battle short?

Is this jenny new to you? Has this jenny ever functioned properly?

I will have more questions for you to answer after I look at the skookum and ponder for a few..

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post some photos, sometimes we learn more from whats in the background of photos than what you are taking a picture of. Dont question the procedures, just marvel at the results.

Skeeterspete

Thanks for your reply. The gen set is full of fuel and the gauge verify it. The batteries are in sequence for 24 volt application. I have no manual but have recently downloaded one. We haven't performed any other test because I ran out of 3 amp fuses yesterday. This may sound stupid but I you tubed how to start and operating this exact set. I followed what they did and when I turned the start switch to excite the generator that's when the problem started. It ran perfect up till I turned the start switch. This is a Trailer mounted unit and NO ground rods were connected only because I didn't see it where it said on the directions on the panel and didn't show it on the video. I also tested the 50 amp circuit breaker near the aldinator and that test good. Could not having the ground rods hooked up be blowing the fuse? At this time I have no photos but I certainly could Monday. Thanks Skeeter

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not grounding the set would not cause the fuse to pop, BUT it does cause you not to become bacon if something else is fubar. You have to remember this set will produce 300 amps of power. All that is needed for ground is a set of jumper cables from the GND or L0 post on the load terminals to a metal fence post or water faucet in the yard, not on the side of the house, you want something buried in the dirt. NOTE this is not a proper ground, this is just a keep your ascot from become crispy critter.

ok back to the problem, if you dont engage the starter again does it still blow fuses? Try starting the genny, without the 2nd starter bump. Does it run? Does it produce power? If that works just doesnt produce power, try starting the genny, when she starts HOLD the start sw in the start position for a second or until the voltage on the display (3 bars side by side) show voltage. The flash the field starter bump is a modified version of starting. IMO the second bump is required on sets that the crank sensor is out of adjustment.

Are you using the correct fuse for replacement? PN calls for 250v 10amp fuse, 32v 10amp fuse will work, thats what my jenny has with no issues. I am guessing that the 3 amp fuse might be the problem.

Screenshot_8.jpg

That was my bad for not paying attention to the details. I should have caught the 3 amp right off the bat.
The advice is worth what you paid for it.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Have you looked at this book yet?

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-9-6115-671-14.pdf

Do you know how to properly opererate this gen set? Is it grounded to a grounding rod of some kind? Are the batteries fully charged and hooked up correctly? Does the set have an acceptable amount of fuel? Does the fuel gauge show less than 5%? Does the set continue to run if you hold the start sw to the start position? Does the set continue to run when you hold the fault reset in the reset position? Does the set run in battle short?

Is this jenny new to you? Has this jenny ever functioned properly?

I will have more questions for you to answer after I look at the skookum and ponder for a few..
Skeeter,

Please do not take everything you see in youtube as the holy writ. Not showing the grounding could get someone hurt.

You gave us some more info to work with, but still need to answer some of 155 MM's questions.

1.Do you know how to properly operate this gen set? The most often made mistake is people do not hold the Start Switch, (S1) in the start position long enough, to get the oil pressure up to operating pressure. Hence it stops running if you let the switch go too fast. So going over the start procedures in the -24 manuals.

2. Ground rod. Its for YOUR protection. You don't exactly need a ground rod, if you have a place to ground the set. Just a cable to do so. Its also covered in the -24 manual.

3.Does the set continue to run if you hold the start sw to the start position? We talked about part of this in number 1. Holding the S1 up long enough. The other part of it is this. When S1 is in the start position, the main generator gets its excitation from the volt regulator. 155 needs to know if the set stays running when you let go of S1. If so, do you still have no output voltage and the gen set continues to run? The way I understand you, is you start the set, it runs. But no output. You turn the S1 to the start position AGAIN, to excite the main gen, and the fuse blows. Is that right? And please, please, please do NOT jump the fuse.

4. Does the set continue to run when you hold the fault reset in the reset position? Does the set run in battle short? These steps are NOT in the manual, but learned from the school of hard knocks. We will get to them later. First off, give us the lowdown on starting. You could have one problem, you could have two problems. Got to take things one at a time.

5. Is this jenny new to you? Has this jenny ever functioned properly? And this is the most important question of all. This answer tells 155 where to start looking in the troubleshooting guide. If its new, then everything is suspect, so we start from the beginning. If if worked before, and you worked on it, or maybe a lightning strike happened, or it was pressure washed, heck, all kinds of things, changes where you can start on trouble shooting.

All the books you need to work on this set are in Steel Soldiers TM forum. Download all the manuals from the -805A file first, then, below, is the file for the -805B, down load that. The engine books for the -805A you can discard. The only difference between the -805A and -805B is the engine.

I will say it again. 155, you always beat me to the punch!

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will say it again. 155, you always beat me to the punch!

well the interweb takes longer to get across the pond, so i have a head start, also you give them a 4 course meal, lots of yum yum good stuff, i just give them the #7 MRE, looks and tastes like caca, but you will survive

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here, this is correct way of doing a start. Notice that the fault reset does not work unles the start switch is in the run position.
Howdy,
Video's are so much easier to explain to someone. Good deal. :beer:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to stop watching those youtube videos pertaining to 805b's, I would have been posting rude comments about how the video'er was doing it wrong and telling ppl the wrong things.

Skeeterspete

Thank you Guyfang and 150mm for the help. We changed the 3 amp fuse and put in a 10 amp as recommended. We grounded the jenny and tested. the jenny fired right up and did everything it is supposed to do. We had to bump the start switch to excite generator and all the values seem to be at 208 volts and 60 hz. the jenny smoked alot and seemed as it was running up against the govenor so we back off the set screw at the injector pump a half turn and it cured all the surging and smoke, the values remained the same after the adjustment. Thanks again for the help and THANKS for your service to our great nation. Skeeter

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you adjusted the injection pump, did you tighten or loosen the set skrew on the rear of the throttle mech to make it smooth up? If you loosened the wide open settings thats ok, if you tightened, that means the governing electric thingamabob has no throttle. I think your stability setting may be too high

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry forgot the good stuff, excellent that it was the fuse!!!! And attaboy for being able to recognize the instability

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thing in having to flash the field, try adjusting the crank sensor exactly by the book and see if that fixes the modified start sequence. Dont worry anout holding the start sw in the start position for too long, the starter disengages onits own unless you hear it grinding. Sorry for so many post, trying to do this on my phone

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks