• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-806 - burnt circuit board, looking for replacement

bimota

Looking for replacement and diagnosis of burnt IC on board - let me know if you have a replacement and if anyone knows the reason it failed.

Thanks, AE 0606 2882 board photo MEP-806.jpgAE 0606 2882 board photo 2 MEP-806.jpg

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can open one of mine up and get you a part number if you want to try to repair that board.

Guyfang

Staff member
The probability of finding a replacement card is slim and none. Slim left town a long, long, long time ago. These parts were NEVER stocked in the military system. The whole shebang gets sent in and you got another one. Its a long shot, but try calling the folks listed below. They make the units.

0FNW8L-3 COMMUNICATIONS WESTWOOD
CORPORATIONDBA MC II ELECTRIC DIVISION 12402 E 60TH ST TULSAOK74146-6920UNITED STATES

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, I wanted to leave a little hope. Maybe Santa took up a summer job? But I have never, ever, heard of them selling to the unwashed masses.

You know the deal, LID.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I wanted to leave a little hope. Maybe Santa took up a summer job? But I have never, ever, heard of them selling to the unwashed masses.

You know the deal, LID.
They probably QC'd that board under one of my products, believe it or not. Wish that bought me some clout, but alas...

bimota

Guys, please, un-helpful commentary is really a waste of electrons. I don't want to be rude but we need parts, not sympathy or completely erroneous suggestions. One Good Soldier PMed with a link to parts cheap. There are literally thousands of these generator being surplused - half of them half repaired and half fixed - that means LOTS of parts out there, cheap.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMO, i feel that board is repairable, I will pull a screen and get you the part number for, what i believe, is an Integrated Circuit. If you have a good electronics guy, he can pull the burned one and replace it with no issues. It just appears it let the smoke out, and didnt burn anything else, I cant see the back side of the board though.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, please, un-helpful commentary is really a waste of electrons. I don't want to be rude but we need parts, not sympathy or completely erroneous suggestions. One Good Soldier PMed with a link to parts cheap. There are literally thousands of these generator being surplused - half of them half repaired and half fixed - that means LOTS of parts out there, cheap.
My comment is still true. I am glad you have been given a link to parts. I hope they work for you. Thats the thing I hate the most about this forum... the discouragement of sharing links to parts based on where they are found. Does the forum, and its hive-like memory, no justice for future users searching for similiar questions and parts.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMO, i feel that board is repairable, I will pull a screen and get you the part number for, what i believe, is an Integrated Circuit. If you have a good electronics guy, he can pull the burned one and replace it with no issues. It just appears it let the smoke out, and didnt burn anything else, I cant see the back side of the board though.
Usually, chips(integrated circuits) that have a label bearing the word "REV"XXXX is a chip that has been programmed with data from the factory or flashed with new data post manufacture.
Unless one knows what the chip does via a schematic, and what data is programmed into it, it is unlikely to be sourced easily.

Physically changing the chip out is the minor issue, finding the correctly programmed IC is going to be the real task.

bimota

Ok, I see the confusion (it's my fault) from the OP, I want a replacement board, not a replacement IC. That was my bad from the OP, so if anyone has a complete spare board, complete spare screen/ monitor assembly please PM me.

Guyfang

Staff member
At the risk of being negative, you are only going to find a screen. NOS or a salvaged screen. Nothing else. The military did not even get a parts breakout listing. Nothing. One for one swap. No parts for the screen assembly were ever bought/stocked. That's the reason I gave you the name and address of the manufacture. Yes, they do not at this time sell to people like you or me. But there can always come a time when they do. If you don't ask, you wont know. The chips Farmitall referred to, are here called EPROM's, I think. Programed by the manufacturer. And like he explained, changing the chip is simple, the uploaded programming, well, not easy. Some companies used to have chips that lost programming, when you pealed off the sticker on the chip. Big companies do not like to share.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At the risk of being negative, you are only going to find a screen. NOS or a salvaged screen. Nothing else. The military did not even get a parts breakout listing. Nothing. One for one swap. No parts for the screen assembly were ever bought/stocked. That's the reason I gave you the name and address of the manufacture. Yes, they do not at this time sell to people like you or me. But there can always come a time when they do. If you don't ask, you wont know. The chips Farmitall referred to, are here called EPROM's, I think. Programed by the manufacturer. And like he explained, changing the chip is simple, the uploaded programming, well, not easy. Some companies used to have chips that lost programming, when you pealed off the sticker on the chip. Big companies do not like to share.
Correct, EPROM stands for Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory and they are programmed using voltages and UV light to erase them in a specifically built programming jig/machine/box with a specific program by the manufacturer. The stickers are put over the window in the chip to prevent UV/sunlight from getting to the inside of the chip and fouling up the program or erasing it all together.

EPROMS are easy to find, I have a pile of them somewhere in my junk and they were used in everything back in the 80's-90's to run simple programs/instructions in all types of equipment and radios and there were millions or very likely billions of them produced. As stated, its the programming data that its programmed with that is going to be the ball buster to obtain.

A whole board replacement will likely be far more likely on your part. Best of luck.....sincerely!

Last edited:

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopeful those part that you were linked have the working board you need. I really recommend that you try to figure out what cause that board to die. Check every thing you can, might be more than just the board that is broken. Ill ask a colleague of mine at my work that works at the same company that made that software/unit, if needed. I don't think it will result in anything since they work in a completely different area then power generation. Hopeful someone on SS has the same set you have, and would be willing to compare readings to the board headers.

Guyfang

Staff member
One of the biggest problems with the CIM was water. Are there any signs of water contamination in your CIM? Some folks have poured out a cup or more water.

Another bit of information that might be useful is if you got the gen set this way? Or, did it worked for a while and then failed? Also, what NSN/Part number is your CIM? Is it a version 1, 2 or 3? Color? Because if you are going to look for one, you need to know what you have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks