• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 806B CIM Failure

Bakerman

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have found everyone extremely helpful. I've got a predicament. I'm an electrical contractor in South Carolina and a small Fire Department purchased an MEP 806B 3 phase Diesel Generator. We connected it to a manual transfer switch so it could serve as an emergency back up generator. When we first installed the generator the CIM was very DIM and was most likely sun faded. The customer took it upon themselves to replace the screen with a compatible LCD screen from eBay. Well, then the problem became that nothing was legible on the screen. Thankfully 155mm helped me out and lent his Dimming adjustment tool to me and I have since corrected this. Now that I can read the screen we have another issue. The CIM keeps performing it's initial boot on loop. I have a communication failure light on as well. I opened up the CIM (using ESD controls) and found what appeared to be salt water deposit inside the CIM. I carefully brushed the deposits off with no change in CIM performance. I've attached a picture of the screen it keeps looping too. Any and all help would be much appreciated! Thank you

IMG_3558CCF73393-1.jpeg

MrShawn305

Looks like it's stuck in POST. So basically it does it's "power on self test", then looks for bootable media. It doesn't find any, so reboots to try again. This is the boot loop you're seeing. My advice is to go check the TM's and troubleshoot the bootable media. I believe there is a CIM troubleshooting manual in the TM's section. I would start there.

Bakerman

Looks like it's stuck in POST. So basically it does it's "power on self test", then looks for bootable media. It doesn't find any, so
Looks like it's stuck in POST. So basically it does it's "power on self test", then looks for bootable media. It doesn't find any, so reboots to try again. This is the boot loop you're seeing. My advice is to go check the TM's and troubleshoot the bootable media. I believe there is a CIM troubleshooting manual in the TM's section. I would start there.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

MrShawn305

There are a couple of links to the TM's. I believe the second one may be redundant, but included it anyway.

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
These sets are a POS, you or the customer will spend way more $$$$ trying to fix something usless and never have the assurance it will work the next time needed. My experience is rip out the whole mess, while i do reuse the regulator and gov nothing else remains.. Its a freeking technician nightmare and typically built around Windows 97 support. rebuild it using convential systems and you will never look back, to date i have scrapped 18 of these and have not looked back one time nor has a single customer...BTW i do think there is for sure 3 versions of the CIM possibly 4 early were monochrome and later had color and more firmware changes .. best: mac/mc

Terry Oneal

These sets are a POS, you or the customer will spend way more $$$$ trying to fix something usless and never have the assurance it will work the next time needed. My experience is rip out the whole mess, while i do reuse the regulator and gov nothing else remains.. Its a freeking technician nightmare and typically built around Windows 97 support. rebuild it using convential systems and you will never look back, to date i have scrapped 18 of these and have not looked back one time nor has a single customer...BTW i do think there is for sure 3 versions of the CIM possibly 4 early were monochrome and later had color and more firmware changes .. best: mac/mc
How do you bypass the CIM? Mine is burned out

commander69

What are you replacing these SIMs with? Same unit in 805 and 806.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks