• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-806B generator

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
So I had the opportunity of putting my hands on this genny.
Genny had voltage spike at some point.
Got the diode in the cim, might want that mosfet tested while at it

you can see where the pos and neg traces got hot and baked the green paint off
View attachment 819989
Your picture pretty much wraps up the conclusions or a compendium of the 19 or so replies already posted, Guyfang has given you the single best reply, get in touch with Peter at Inova tech .. the board you are showing is a TANO board, tano is a smaller offshoot of mcii and acts as a or did act as a sole source supplier for these CIMs and is not readily available for any other purpose and as was covered in a 'overview' of the contracting history i offered somewhere in this topic. What you have now is a rather large unwieldy door stop. These CIM's the near exclusive propitiatory devices as well the near exclusive use of SMD's make repair near impossible or at the least impracticable ..last time, if it can be recovered Peter is your guy, but he has the learning curve already under his belt, so he does it for a price, i have no clue what that might be. But remember these CIMs are old outdated and well past the life expectancy, the OS's alone are hard to support, the core processors even more so, the small capacitors and ss disk. Peter will share this knowledge with you as a caution he has learned from direct experiences. And the real heart of it is, no reasonable person will offer you any warranty, because for every reason i have just listed that are all beyond engineering and tech support, repairing these units is the classic example of "taillight warranty".
A yardstick we so often like to use here is operating hours or the hour meter reading, that means absolutely nothing in these CIM feature sets, every part of the CIM is driven by age and technology advancement. MCII started making the CIM sets in 1999 early 2000 last CIM sets in 2012, how many of us here are using a near 9 year old or older computer with a fully supportable OS
We have become spoiled here is several ways with the TQG sets, near all analog and many many workarounds have been offered and the users here are always amazing me at the most simple and trick fix's they find for solutions when parts are not available or too expensive. Then you toss in a Klopp who is very clearly agile and qualified and LID who has the sheet-metal all covered and hell, the TQG sets will be running lots of life cycles around the CIM feature sets, granted nowhere as trick, but trick is as trick does, therein comes the awkward door stop i mentioned earlier..
best: mac/mc

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The diode is definitely toast.
If it were me I'd replace both the MOSFET and the Diode.

The traces to J1 look a bit crispy too. Might want to see which traces that are crispy go to which pins on J1. Then determine where to pin on J1 go to to see if the is any damage along that path.

Terry Oneal

The diode is definitely toast.
If it were me I'd replace both the MOSFET and the Diode.

The traces to J1 look a bit crispy too. Might want to see which traces that are crispy go to which pins on J1. Then determine where to pin on J1 go to to see if the is any damage along that path.
Which one is the mosfet?

Guyfang

Staff member
You need to understand that there are no wire diagrams or schematics for the CIM. It was never meant to be repaired at any level other then back at the factory. Peter at Inova tech might know.

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
Do you think it will be worth a try to replace the burned up diode in my gen? Or am I just peeing in the wind?
Its peeing in the wind, but cheep pee as it is ... I would put a fuse in line or circuit breaker start with 1amp or so and see how it goes vs. what the screen does or does not do or perform, hardwire across if the board lands are truly burned off or away from the board. it can be debated if you had a 'spike' i think you called it, my view is this was a 'demand' that caused this by the look and experiences i see or have experienced and not a spike, spikes usually erupt and make a mess, this looks like a protracted demand for current, look for a larger capacitor that will show deformation or just not look right.. there should be more tell tell signs as you delve into your novice forensics autopsy effort.. best: mac/mc

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
Your tech guy needs to look at both sides of the board if possible.
On e more quick check, on the right control box inside wall is a stepdown power supply 24vdc to 5vdc look that over and measure, i have seen those be problems, sometimes they run just the "mouse pad" and more often the 5vd side of the CIM needs internally, this can be done as a stand alone test, just isolate the output, it is self regulated and should be a solid 5vdc tight tolerance.. its a black block about 4" x 4" or so and 5/8" or so thick all potted with black potting materials ... mac/mc

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
Its peeing in the wind, but cheep pee as it is ... I would put a fuse in line or circuit breaker start with 1amp or so and see how it goes vs. what the screen does or does not do or perform, hardwire across if the board lands are truly burned off or away from the board. it can be debated if you had a 'spike' i think you called it, my view is this was a 'demand' that caused this by the look and experiences i see or have experienced and not a spike, spikes usually erupt and make a mess, this looks like a protracted demand for current, look for a larger capacitor that will show deformation or just not look right.. there should be more tell tell signs as you delve into your novice forensics autopsy effort.. best: mac/mc
I will go away after this posting, i really do have a busy day, but Guyfang shares this all the time, this condition is not normal, dont get all gutsy and find a new cim and dump in, you pretty much have to make a solid determination of what caused this condition in the first place, otherwise your going to just likely burn up your new replacement... I got things to go do .. best: mac/mc

Terry Oneal

Do you know the number on the d2 ?
I will go away after this posting, i really do have a busy day, but Guyfang shares this all the time, this condition is not normal, dont get all gutsy and find a new cim and dump in, you pretty much have to make a solid determination of what caused this condition in the first place, otherwise your going to just likely burn up your new replacement... I got things to go do .. best: mac/mc
thanks

Guyfang

Staff member
Sure. Talk to mciikurzroot
Thats what he does. He told you that a while back. The engine and main gen are super. Down range people have told me 40-45 thousand hours on a gen set, and the engine still is a runner. Its the crap they put in the control cube that is bone head.

Terry Oneal

Sure. Talk to mciikurzroot
Thats what he does. He told you that a while back. The engine and main gen are super. Down range people have told me 40-45 thousand hours on a gen set, and the engine still is a runner. Its the crap they put in the control cube that is bone head.
Thanks I will message him if this doesn’t work I believe he is from wimberly which is only about 5 hrs south of me

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks