• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-806B Surging (resolved)

fcbrants

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 2011 MEP-806B with 515 hours on it. It hadn't been started in a few months & it started surging on the first start. I shut it down & restarted the computer & that appeared to solve the problem on that first day.

I've been using it most afternoons when the wholesale electric rates go through the roof - Texas power is deregulated & one of the providers (Griddy) allows you to pay the wholesale rate - great at night (1.5 cents / kWh + 3.5 cents for transmission charges), but not so great (up to $9.00 / kWh) when the grid is constrained.

The surging returned & was barely noticeable, but you could hear it in the genset's engine noise & my home's A/C system. I read the TM's troubleshooting guide, drained the fuel filter & checked the air filter (both replaced at 405 hrs) & they both looked fine - no water or sediment in the fuel & the air filter was pretty clean, especially on the inside.

Still, I replaced the air filter & to my surprise, it solved the problem. So, I guess the motto is, "when it doubt, swap it out..." especially if it's an inexpensive part & you have one handy.

I have a video (.mov file from an iPhone), but was unable to get it uploaded using the attachment manager - I will dig around & upload the file if I can get _that_ problem solved...

Cheers!!

Franko

Last edited: