• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-831 A overload problems

wonk1970

having trouble with my generator was working fine for 3 years now it goes into overload short when i turn on A/C in camper Please Help

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you know that the generator is the problem, and not the air conditioner? I spent hours trouble shooting a motor starter / motor circuit once, only to find out the device connected to the motor had mechanical issues, causing the starting overload.

Can you connect another large load / motor to the generator to see if it will start that?

Also check all your connections. If the AC does not get full voltage to start, it will draw more current and possibly cause a trip situation.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
having trouble with my generator was working fine for 3 years now it goes into overload short when i turn on A/C in camper Please Help
I have to agree with DieselAddict and Dieselmeister .
DieselMeister has several really good and valid points.
DieselAddict's point for asking for a video will let us see what you see.

Startup amperage (draw) for an air conditioning unit is quite often twice the load of it running with the compressor on and pumping cold air. If everything has been good for three years and suddenly has a failure - it could be in the generator - but more likely the compressor or fan in the A/C is going bad. Everything could have been working fine for a long time - but eventually (maybe?) a bearing has gone bad.

You could test as suggested with a similar amp draw motor.
You might try a different power source to help diagnose the generator.

Another thought is for you to be standing somewhere else when the failure happens. You might hear a shrill "skreek" sound when you engage the A/C that you hadn't heard. It is all guesswork, but maybe?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say a likely issue if the true problem is with the AC is the capacitor on the compressor. Those age over time and will cause the start event to take longer and use more energy. If the AC is over 5 years old its not a bad idea to replace it anyway. It can help make the compressor last longer. Thankfully they are super cheap.

Edit - I see your location is shown as PA in your profile. I don't know why I didn't see that before so I don't think it would be convenient for you to bring the generator over.
--------------------------
I have no idea where you are but if you are close to central NC you can bring the generator over and we can load bank it. That will tell you in a few minutes if your generator has a problem.

Last edited:

wonk1970

Thanks guys for the info,. but i tried it on other campers also, and no good so i plugged camper in to another generator and it works just fine. it does not even make it rev up that high on rpms. i cant show a video i brought it home from camp already, i was told it might be the overload relay they are known to go bad a lot. checking in to it Thanks

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest loading it up progressively with resistive loads to see exactly where it trips. That will be important information.

With the 831 load is measured by the inverter. There is no external trip unit like there is on the non-inverter generators. If its tripping out on overload its because the inverter itself detects the overload and shuts down the party.

I hate to ask a dumb question but here goes anyway, have you switched it between 120v and 240v modes? If its in 120v mode have you put a jumper between L1 and L2 at the power terminals? Have you checked to make sure there is 0v between L1 and L2 (assuming its in 120v mode)?

Guyfang

Staff member
Need to know what parts you need. You need to start with the parts TM. Look up the part number and NSN. Then try plugging them into places like epay and such. If no joy, then we can look in another direction. Balls in your court.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Classifieds on this forum
Ebay

Relays K12, K14 &K15 can be purchased from Digikey.
They also have an LED bulb that works well.
For the switches suitable substitute ones can be found on Digikey too. The ones in the set aren't typical switches so you'll need to know how to understand how the sets switch's work to find a suitable replacement.

Inverters are like hens teeth. They do occasionally pop up on Ebay.

wonk1970

The Classifieds on this forum
Ebay

Relays K12, K14 &K15 can be purchased from Digikey.
They also have an LED bulb that works well.
For the switches suitable substitute ones can be found on Digikey too. The ones in the set aren't typical switches so you'll need to know how to understand how the sets switch's work to find a suitable replacement.

Inverters are like hens teeth. They do occasionally pop up on Ebay.
thanks for the info do you happen to know the part number for the green push light thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks