• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 831 FAQ for owners or potential buyers

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paralleling for this generator would have to be a feature built into the inverter. The engine speed has no effect on output frequency. That is good and bad. Good since we can run the engine at a RPM to give good power and fuel burn characteristics for a specific load. Bad because now its not so simple to parallel them.

If you want to research that more you'll need to look towards the manufacturer of the inverter to see if they have any paralleling abilities.

boatman69

I wish I had an extra unit and spare inverters to give it a whirl. The Honda parallel cables are simply piggybacked off the receptacles nothing special in the hook up.

AMENDMENT NUMBER 0004
BAA 11-002

Question 8: For the baseline comparison, does a single generator operate continuously
with the second brought on line to handle surge periods?
Answer 8: Power is provided by only one generator at a time in the currently-fielded
power plant configuration (two MEP-831A generators mounted on a light
tactical trailer). The generators are not configured to operate in parallel.

Heavymetal1985

Question here. I have a 831 that I just pick up and can not get it started! The unit cranks over but won't run. I have checked everything on the trouble shooting guide and have replaced the following items from a good running unit injector, governor control, governor actuator, both diodes, and the relay plus I have replaced the filter and bleed the fuel system. The unit puffs smoke out the exhaust when it's cranking but it will just not kick over and run. Does anyone have a idea of what to do next? Thanks for any help.

Grunt1985

boatman69

I think there needs to be a sticky telling people how and why new threads would be beneficial for all. Especially those looking for troubleshooting ideas. Text book case of a hijacked thread for sure.😀

Heavymetal1985

Yes the governor releases plus I replaced it with one from a running unit along with the governor control. I will try and bleed the system again but I do have fuel coming from the line when it's cracked open.

OverkillTASF

What Is the taper on the crankshaft coming out of the engine? I found 2 1/3" per foot in one place.... measured something entirely different (and probably wrong) in a hurry this morning... and am really really hoping it is 2 1/4" per foot. Anyone have better info or better with their calipers?

Sgthoffer

85296433_gl_tiny_thumb.jpg

Fermont. Mdl MEP-831A, Diesel engine generator set 3kw, 120 Volts 1 Phase 120/240 Volts 1 Phase, 60 Hertz, Hours 138, Engine turns, Working condition unknown

Looks like I am the proud new owner of this beast above for $580.00 I pick it up thursday. I hope it runs and there is not too much wrong with it.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the Battery Chargers were manufactured by TRC they used a couple of zip ties to secure the toroid coil to the PCB. Over time due to age and heat the zip ties fracture and allow the toroid to come loose and vibrate about. During use the toroid leads fracture causing the battery charger to fail.

For those that have or acquire an MEP-831A be sure to take the cover off the battery charger module and inspect the zip ties to be sure they in tact. If they've failed be sure to re-secure the toroid to the PCB. Also check that the leads to the toroid haven't broken.

Here is what the fractured zip ties look like.

20180314_154216.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks