• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 831 FAQ for owners or potential buyers

mullamr

Jay722: did you ever solve the ac power to the service lug issue? If so, what was the remedy? Just purchase one with 2 hours on the reset and it appears to be demonstrating the same promblems.

OverkillTASF

What Is the taper on the crankshaft coming out of the engine? I found 2 1/3" per foot in one place.... measured something entirely different (and probably wrong) in a hurry this morning... and am really really hoping it is 2 1/4" per foot. Anyone have better info or better with their calipers?
Just got my engine lifted out... What a pain in the ass. Not sure I'll be able to maneuver everything around on the way back in without breaking... something. Still no idea what the taper is supposed to be on this engine... but I'll try to take another measurement, and probably get a different result again. Got some Prussian Blue to see how the crank taper fits the gen head I bought too.

DieselGenAC

My application manual for Yanmar engines says the taper is 2-1/4 inch per foot for the L series engines with a tapered shaft.

Mac3715

I did look at Iron Planet. Also Gov deals.com Gov auction.com , Colemans.com. Government planet.com Are they government authorized to resell? Or are they purchasing and reselling marked up. Who is replacing Government Liquidation. My PC redirects me to GO Industry Dove Bid. after careful review of the website they have no Gen sets. Where are the Gen sets going?
---Mac---

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did look at Iron Planet. Also Gov deals.com Gov auction.com , Colemans.com. Government planet.com Are they government authorized to resell? Or are they purchasing and reselling marked up. Who is replacing Government Liquidation. My PC redirects me to GO Industry Dove Bid. after careful review of the website they have no Gen sets. Where are the Gen sets going?
---Mac---
Iron Planet is the main outlet now. And yea, the prices are WAY up. I'm not doing any more generators because of the costs.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya for sure mine was overpriced and in poor condition. Added to my long list of "projects"

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Mac3715

I was watching the auction today on iron planet. The pricing on the 831a was crazy. I saw one unit sell for 1375 and another at 1075 and they didn't look that clean. Whats up with this? Gov liquidation was selling units with 2 hours for 5-600 dollars. Two at a time for less than a thousand. I guess i missed out.

stryker308

I have a MEP-831A and in desperate need of a valve cover cap. Had a bad case of dumb ass and mine is FUBAR. Any help with source of or direct cross reference greatly appreciated. Yanmar is a L70AE. Correct?

Cord

Panic no more. Engine parts are readily available from a Yanmar dealer. You will also be pleasantly surprised by the cost.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a MEP-831A and in desperate need of a valve cover cap. Had a bad case of dumb ass and mine is FUBAR. Any help with source of or direct cross reference greatly appreciated. Yanmar is a L70AE. Correct?
I have one you can have for free, I don't have the yellow cap though. PM me your address and Ill ship it to ya.

IMG_20190622_190320.jpgIMG_20190622_190325.jpgIMG_20190622_190257.jpg

Cord

I’m glad to see a video on the entire procedure; it’s long over due. My set also had the mechanical governor tampered with. Kurt told me his two sample units were set to .793 and .765 for the top bolt protrusion and the side bolt was .0890 and .900. My set was at .936 for the top bolt and .928 for the side bolt. Way off! When I tried to set my bolts to Klopp’s measurements I found my engine was running very slow. I also was having a problem where the controller rod couldn’t be adjusted long enough. I’d have to set the bottom nut so it was falling off the threads and even then the spherical nut was ready to fall out of its threads. I ended up setting my top screw back to the .963 my set came with and the bottom bolt to the average measurement of .779”. Now the adjustment rod was the correct length and the engine sounded a lot happier. I guess these measurements are just a guide and you’ll need to find the sweet spot for your set. The point is, if your mechanical governor has been tampered with, don’t bother trying to adjust the CAC controller without first resetting the governor.

In in the end, I went with a Klopp controller and it was the right choice. After spending hours adjusting the CAC unit, the generator still would not run as well as it does with the Klopp unit. Plus, Klopp’s doesn’t need to be adjusted every 100 hours!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnti8w5M5M

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I’m glad to see a video on the entire procedure; it’s long over due. My set also had the mechanical governor tampered with. Kurt told me his two sample units were set to .793 and .765 for the top bolt protrusion and the side bolt was .0890 and .900. My set was at .936 for the top bolt and .928 for the side bolt. Way off! When I tried to set my bolts to Klopp’s measurements I found my engine was running very slow. I also was having a problem where the controller rod couldn’t be adjusted long enough. I’d have to set the bottom nut so it was falling off the threads and even then the spherical nut was ready to fall out of its threads. I ended up setting my top screw back to the .963 my set came with and the bottom bolt to the average measurement of .779”. Now the adjustment rod was the correct length and the engine sounded a lot happier. I guess these measurements are just a guide and you’ll need to find the sweet spot for your set. The point is, if your mechanical governor has been tampered with, don’t bother trying to adjust the CAC controller without first resetting the governor.

In in the end, I went with a Klopp controller and it was the right choice. After spending hours adjusting the CAC unit, the generator still would not run as well as it does with the Klopp unit. Plus, Klopp’s doesn’t need to be adjusted every 100 hours!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnti8w5M5M
Yeah, I think I may just go with his controller. Once I get everything tuned in & do a long load test to be sure nothing real bad it wrong with it, I think I'll just buy it anyways. I think with the no adjustments, it worth it alone. That way it just fixes itself!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks