• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 831 Jump start off regular cables

fpchief

I picked up my MEP 831 today. It will not start using the manual start. It does have fuel, it did run on the video from GP. I followed the correct procedures for a manual start. It did crank with a couple of pulls and shut off after a few seconds and will not do anything now after many pulls... The panel is correct as in the breaker, battle short, Emergency stop, and start/Run switch and the fuel lever is locked up and button pushed in.

I want to try to jump it before i pay the money for its batteries. I do not have a slave cable and want to use regular (heavy duty) cable running from my 24vdc terminal under my M998 seat to the positive battery lead. Is there any concern there at all?

Respectfully,
Kip

212sparky

It should, I jump my mep004a from time to time off my m35a2 or spare battery's I have sitting around.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Are you sure this is not a fuel problem? You said it tried to start or did it sputter and quit? I always had problems with this engine after it stood a while. Once it starts, it's a runner. Crack the line to the injector and pull it over. See if you get fuel. Not just a few drips.

Last edited:

fpchief

Sir, it isn't and jumped just fine. However i am having problems with the electric actuator shuttingnit down. Runs great as long as i keep the actuator from closing. I have not trouble shot yet per TM. Not near computer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fpchief

on the cables, i have the positive going from the 24v lug in the M998 to the positive cable clamp on the 831, and both ends of the negative jumper cable lead going to chassis on each end and did nothing with the negative battery terminal on the 831...any of that an issue or possible cause?

Guyfang

Staff member
Should work like that. Is there a battery in it? Or no battery, and jumper cables hooked to battery cables? Sometimes, when a compleatly dead battery in being jumped, you get no juice to the set. When you jump it next, turn on the panel lights. Then when you try and start it, take note of the lights. Do they dim, or go compleatly out?

Guyfang

Staff member
Go straight to the Field Trouble shooting, on page 124, (PDF reader page number) and work through that, it you think the actuator is not getting a signal to start the set.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks