• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 831: Won’t Start and Batteries Seriously Overcharged

Lostranger

We use a pair of 831 generators as primary backup for an off grid solar home. The main unit has been down for a few months. For the past three weeks, the backup unit has been hard to start. Acted like weak batteries. Today it would not turn over. When I pulled the two batteries to clean the cables and connectors, one battery read 15.2 bolts on a good meter, and the other read 15.3. These are lawn mower batteries stacked inside the case and wired series. What would cause this unit to overcharge?

TIA
Jim in NC

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to check the output of the power supply in the unit. That is the only thing that provides the DC power for the unit when its running.

Lostranger

Thanks, Chris. I’m gonna drag it out of its shed in the morning so I can reach the pull rope. Assuming I get it started that way, where do I check the output you mention?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The power supply is a rectangular box inside the engine compartment on the left. When you look at it the wiring should be pretty obvious.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks