• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-831A Flatline

g2reeves

All,

Would appreciate some help from genset experts out there. Picked up a pair of MEP-831As from GA in OKC last spring. One runs fine (minus some governor gremlins, I just run it manually with the governor locked out) and I kept that one in tip-top shape for summer outages in case of a hurricane here in the Houston area.

Finally got time this week to start on the other. Took the known-good battery out of my running unit and put it in the second set, and got nothing when I flipped the switch. :|

The one fuse I can find (FU1) has continuity and the DC circuit breaker seems to work fine.

I need help/hints to get this unit running. A basic inspection shows some hardware missing (it appears the engine was replaced) but all connections are tight and complete. The meter has less than 2 hours on it, so ideally this one would become my primary box based on the hours. Also, the inverter is a much later SN than the one in my working unit.

A couple follow-on questions: Emergency stop button- is it normally open or normally closed to run? Are there fuses anywhere else? I have the wiring diagram and manuals but cannot get a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Guyfang

Staff member
Morning,

The S-17, (emergency off switch) is normally closed to operate.

No other fuse other then FU-1.

I would go to page 13-2 and start working the troubleshooting diagram.

Do you get any idiot lights? Like low fuel?

g2reeves

Morning,

I would go to page 13-2 and start working the troubleshooting diagram.

Do you get any idiot lights? Like low fuel?
Thanks Guyfang. No lights of any variety, no relay clicks, just nothing at all. Almost like something's not hooked up, but running the wiring at least all the major components are connected. I have run the basic troubleshooting chart from the diagrams and troubleshooting chart that came in the unit, but it doesn't address a flatline situation, so I'll dive into the manual on 13-2 and start there. Thanks much, that'll at least get me started!

Last edited: