• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 831A Oil Filling Procedure

Chainbreaker

I don't own an 831 but find this starting aid oil hole intriguing. My "guess" would be that the hole shown in the photo posted by "Dav5" in post # 18 above is positioned on the intake side of the intake valve? So, I wonder if the idea of adding the 2cc of oil was supposed to help by allowing a small amount of oil to enter cylinder and flow down to piston/rings to help raise compression when cold? Or, was it an aid to prevent potential cylinder scuffing with added lubrication and less resistance when extremely cold...or both?

dav5

We never used the start assist on this engine.
Any early engine that had the assist plug in the cover was cut off and glued into the cover.
The yellow cap is only for oil fill.

Servicing the engine proved to be very difficult and messy using the oil dip stick for the GI's in the field.
So we had Yanmar add the cap in the top cover
I have my second unit at my camp in northern Ontario, Canada. I started it up a few times this winter at around 0 degrees F and it started immediately. I can see why you glued in the plug.

Kenny0

I don't own an 831 but find this starting aid oil hole intriguing. My "guess" would be that the hole shown in the photo posted by "Dav5" in post # 18 above is positioned on the intake side of the intake valve? So, I wonder if the idea of adding the 2cc of oil was supposed to help by allowing a small amount of oil to enter cylinder and flow down to piston/rings to help raise compression when cold? Or, was it an aid to prevent potential cylinder scuffing with added lubrication and less resistance when extremely cold...or both?
I would say it does 2 things 1. Seals the top compression ring 2. Slightly raises the compression ratio. That would raise the temperature of the air when compressed. On a diesel, the hot air of compression ignites the fuel. Too much oil can cause hydostatic lock which is bad. In this case a little is good more is not better.

selkirkcraig

Just wanted to update. Based on all the information posted on this thread, I filled one of my MEP 831A with oil after removing the Yellow cap on top of the valve cover on the top of the engine. I watched carefully through the dipstick opening as the oil filled the base of the crankcase until the dipstick indicated full. Went ahead with start up procedure as per manual, and unit started up immediately without any issues. I will follow the same procedure in the morning on the second unit, and hope for the same results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks