• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-831a Overload

royerator

Before the thread was hijacked, the discussion was about inverter shorts. I was having the same problem and realized that the inverter is not properly grounded because of the paint on everything the bolt head touches...then when there is a little moisture, whammo. so, what if you just isolate/secure the inverter with silicone caulk instead of bolts? I know, but it may run for yourself instead of scrapping it?

dav5

I think you should listen to Dewie38 [post#2]. You can buy 831's way cheaper than a new inverter and you would have a parts machine as well.

Guyfang

Staff member
Also keep an eye out every once in a while in the auction sites. GL and such. Last year I saw one or two inverters in lot boxes. Just labeled "parts" or "Electrical parts". I was just killing time, looking. You never know. I also remember NSN's well. I have a useless file of them in my moth eaten brain. When I see one, it clicks. Then I look up the numbers.

jmenende

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be moisture. With the unit off, open the voltage switch cover and leave it open. Fire the unit up and let it run at high idle for 15-20 minutes. Shut it down manually, close the cover and the restart. See if that solved the problem. The overload circuit appears to be very sensitive to moisture and will give a simular complaint.
This is the solution that worked for me. I live in PR where high humidity and heat is normal. I just remove the lower 6 pin connector and run it for five minutes with the top open since the fans wont work. After it heats up, turn off, plug the connector back in and voila!

Last edited:

dav5

This is the solution that worked for me. I live in PR where high humidity and heat is normal. I just remove the lower 6 pin connector and run it for five minutes with top open since the fans wont work. After it heats up plug the connector back in and voila!
I wonder if Kurt will come up with a fix. It sounds like he has an inverter disassembled.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do have two bad ones here that I'm trying to make 1 good inverter from. Both had catastrophic but different failures.
My hunch about the moisture issue with the inverters is the 13 potentiometers on the main control board. The pot's aren't sealed with CC like the rest of the board is and my suspicion is moisture is getting into them and wreaking havoc on the Overload and/or Over Voltage functions in the inverter. For some reason they aren't sealed at TRC after they've got them all adjusted, QC'd and ready to ship.
That's my hunch so far.
Kurt

KEN2

Ok, flipping the battle short must be a sequence critical because I tried flipping it before and it made no difference, but I thought that it wasn't effective on overloads. I'll try it again tonight.
mine runs @ 30 seconds unless flip battle falt then runs for long time. but not showing any power on meter. Any thoughts.? Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks