• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-831A Overvoltage

Clay James

I'm having an overvoltage issue on my MEP-831. Ive searched and haven't found anything about my specific problem. It is producing too much output. It will get up to 150v on the 120v circuit and it's dependent on engine RPM. The higher it revs the more volts it puts out. Could it be a voltage regulator or governor? It won't trigger any faults even with that voltage. It's a lower hours unit and it only had about 50 hours on it when I got it and I haven't used it much.

Chainbreaker

I'm having an overvoltage issue on my MEP-831. Ive searched and haven't found anything about my specific problem. It is producing too much output. It will get up to 150v on the 120v circuit and it's dependent on engine RPM. The higher it revs the more volts it puts out. Could it be a voltage regulator or governor? It won't trigger any faults even with that voltage. It's a lower hours unit and it only had about 50 hours on it when I got it and I haven't used it much.
If I owned a MEP-831 I would replace the "known problematic governor" with one of Kloppik's units even if the generator was currently working well. His governor unit is reported to make it a much more reliable unit and less hair pulling down the road.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has the unit operated correctly in the past and this is a new problem?

Have you traced out the wires between the voltage POT and the inverter?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do the 831s have adjustable throttle cables like the other machines? I just diagnosed an 803 that kept giving me an overvoltage condition... turns out someone messed with the stops for the throttle and it actually WAS producing too much voltage. Have you tested this machine with a handheld tester, as well as onboard gauges?

I fixed the stops, readjusted the throttle cable, and it now runs properly with no overvoltage condition (which at least now I know that this machine is also fully functional in terms of the safety limits in place for this condition... they worked properly).

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No throttle cable on these. The throttle is servo controlled. Also the output power is via an inverter so not directly connected to the alternator.

If the voltage is going up and down with engine RPM its either a bad inverter, bad voltage pot, or wiring problem between them.

dav5

No throttle cable on these. The throttle is servo controlled. Also the output power is via an inverter so not directly connected to the alternator.

If the voltage is going up and down with engine RPM its either a bad inverter, bad voltage pot, or wiring problem between them.
831A's are a real PITA. I 2nd the suggestion to first of all get one of Kurt's controllers. My second suggestion would maybe to consider selling it and buying an 802A

Clay James

Got messing with it again finally. I adjusted the speed setting on the SLC100 and it brought it down to the correct voltage but not close enough where my inverter would connect. It was surging and acting funny too so I'll start with replacing it since that seems to be the problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks