• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-831a Recommendation for spares kit contents

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that my genny is up and running I'm thinking about what spares I need to keep on hand. I plan on using this alot to support my business so want to be sure to have spares to repair fast..

So thoughts?

- oil filter
- oil
- electric fuel pump
- ?

ke6rwj

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hint was to have another machine - rather than spare parts.
A regular testing schedule will help you a lot for sure...
Uhh ok, not sure how that could of been gleaned from that but..

No i get that having a spare is key, and I do plan on that, but also having spares on hand is also.. am I the only one who keeps a spare starter and alternators etc hand for rapid repair of vehicles and key equipment?

It's gonna get used alot, not really a standby item either..

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ahh ok the spare part is the spare genny. Yea i get it.. I'm slow today...
There you go... Trying to have a little fun here. :cool:

@Light in the Dark and/or @Guyfang can give you better suggestions than I.
The generator out back cranks up on a timer once a week.
It runs for an hour, then shuts back down and the "pole power" is restored.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MEP-831A is not the most robust platform in the MEP series, so just a bad joke on my part I guess. I am sure those more well versed in this particular machine will swing by with their two cents... but you are on the right track. Fuel pump, all filters, fluids, etc. Relays, gauges, a way to jumpstart the machine if the alternator fails, etc.

The Achilles heel of these machines, from everything that I've gleaned, is that they are overly complicated for what they are. And some items (like the PMG) are made of unobtanium when you need one.

There was a durability testing report issued previously (found here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachments/failres-mep-pdf.549988/) that showcased the MTBF figure of about 330hrs for an MEP-831A.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The most problematic part of the generator is the speed control module. I strongly recommend having a spare on hand. You can get by if it fails by pinning the speed control to MAX with the sacrifice of fuel econ and noise. Buy the one that Kurt here on the forum builds. Also buy one of his power supply repair kits. That is one of the other weak points in the set.

A PM to prevent problems is to replace ALL the fuel lines. Military fuel is really hard on rubber and the fuel lines will most certainly fail at the optimum time to maximize the pain to you.

There isn't a ton of spares needed. The engine doesn't have a real oil filter but instead has a screen. You can get one if you like but if you are kind to the one you have it should last a long time. You just clean it at oil changes. Get a few o-rings that fit the oil caps and you should be OK.

Since it only holds about a quart of oil, change it often. I tend to use mine in spurts. It may sit for months then I use it for 4 days straight. When I'm done with a stint, I change the oil so its ready for next time.

Another thing to check and keep an eye on is the bolts the hold the muffler to the back of the engine. They can break. Replace them before they break. If they break, it sucks. Trust me.

Having a replacement cooling fan isn't a bad idea.

I'm trying to go through all the things in my head that I've had to repair on mine and the other units that I've worked on. The vast majority of the problems have been with the speed controller. The engines are very robust. If you run it a lot then keep an injector on hand. Resist the urge to burn used motor oil.

OK. I'm going to stop rambling at this point and let someone else toss in any recommendations.

dav5

The most problematic part of the generator is the speed control module. I strongly recommend having a spare on hand. You can get by if it fails by pinning the speed control to MAX with the sacrifice of fuel econ and noise. Buy the one that Kurt here on the forum builds. Also buy one of his power supply repair kits. That is one of the other weak points in the set.

A PM to prevent problems is to replace ALL the fuel lines. Military fuel is really hard on rubber and the fuel lines will most certainly fail at the optimum time to maximize the pain to you.

There isn't a ton of spares needed. The engine doesn't have a real oil filter but instead has a screen. You can get one if you like but if you are kind to the one you have it should last a long time. You just clean it at oil changes. Get a few o-rings that fit the oil caps and you should be OK.

Since it only holds about a quart of oil, change it often. I tend to use mine in spurts. It may sit for months then I use it for 4 days straight. When I'm done with a stint, I change the oil so its ready for next time.

Another thing to check and keep an eye on is the bolts the hold the muffler to the back of the engine. They can break. Replace them before they break. If they break, it sucks. Trust me.

Having a replacement cooling fan isn't a bad idea.

I'm trying to go through all the things in my head that I've had to repair on mine and the other units that I've worked on. The vast majority of the problems have been with the speed controller. The engines are very robust. If you run it a lot then keep an injector on hand. Resist the urge to burn used motor oil.

OK. I'm going to stop rambling at this point and let someone else toss in any recommendations.
Light in the dark gave you some very good advice. It sounds like this generator is going to be pretty important to your business. As an owner of 2 MEP831A 's and an Mep 803A I would never rely on my my 831A'S for reliable long term power generation. The Yanmar engine is bulletproof but the controls are very problematic. I converted one of my 831A's to a different gen head using Kurt's conversion kit but I don't think he produces them anymore. I can't understand why more people didn't use it. It produces more power and totally solves the control problems including damp weather issues. An 802A would be a much more reliable generator.

ke6rwj

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update - apparently I'm a bit addicted at this point... I bought an excellent MEP-802a and an MEP-803a.. neither ran when I brought home, but within an hour had both going.

I see why everyone says the 802 is the backup unit to the 831... my God it's awesome...

Sure lucky I have such a supportive addiction support group here!!

;-)

-- Chris

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update - apparently I'm a bit addicted at this point... I bought an excellent MEP-802a and an MEP-803a.. neither ran when I brought home, but within an hour had both going.

I see why everyone says the 802 is the backup unit to the 831... my God it's awesome...

Sure lucky I have such a supportive addiction support group here!!

;-)

-- Chris
Careful, these things multiple quickly. It started as one, then a parts donor, then there were five.
20230729_162353.jpg

Chainbreaker

Early on when the 831's began showing up on the market I almost pulled the trigger on one. My intention was to use as an "overnight runner" to take over for my MEP-002a to just keep things like refrigerator/freezer cold & small devices powered up throughout the night. However, there were several reported failures with the inverters & other small issues that caused me to question their reliability back then. Also, Kurt K hadn't developed his kits for the 831's that early on, so I skipped buying one at the time. Still would consider one, if modded, as a light duty genset to use around the compound & for overnight light duty runs.

Regardless, I can truly relate to the intent of this member's "addiction" & desire to be prepared & Diggers "5 genset addiction" above /\ !

Vital spares in both parts & even fully operational "spare gensets" are the cure for the "what if scenarios" that eventually run through one's head regarding grid power loss vs potential lurking generator failure incidents when mission critical & you need it most.

We just had a scheduled Utility Company maintenance shutdown event last night. Ran my #1 house genset for ~ 2hrs & was music to my ears when rest of distant neighborhood was mostly dark & quiet.

Guyfang

Staff member
Back in 2004-05, I was new to the MEP-831A, I had been away from Army Power Generation for a few years. I asked a CECOM Logistic Rep, about the set. I looked at me, and scowled, "The smallest gen set in our inventory, and the biggest PITA." Shortly before he retired last year, we were chewing the rag on the phone. I was giving him a hard time about the 831. He repeated the statement. "The smallest gen set in our inventory, and the biggest PITA."

DD58

There a pita for sure. I have one got a real good deal on now I know why. I went through 2 inverters and a speed controller now I’m working on a conversion kit to get rid of the inverter. Kloppk on the forum had a great kit to fix the issues. When the new gen head come in next week I’m going to start a thread on the full change over.

But to answer your question keep it dry keep 5 gallons of oil a few filters. If you have the money a spare inverter. They do go bad because thecapacitors electrolyte solution drys up. Besides that find a full gasket set for the Yanmar engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks