• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-831A troubleshooting help request

g2reeves

Howdy all,

Picked up a couple MEP-831A units at OKC a couple weeks back. Have one running now, with a few issues I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with.

The intermittent short light I was getting has gone away, at least for now. Ran the unit and plugged in my shop vac to clean the truck last night and it would run fine when the fuel control was locked to high-speed. Otherwise it hunts and surges nearly constantly. From what I've seen on the other MEP-831A threads, the magnet "target" on the engine speed control is out of whack.

The latest odd issue came up today. I ran the unit again, and this time it fired right up, at a lower idle, and then when I went to shut it down- it didn't. When I moved the start-run-stop switch to "stop" the DC components shut off (pumps, fuel gauge) and the unit ran at a slightly lower speed. I flipped the switch back to "run" and the unit revved up to what sounded like normal full running speeds and resumed its hunting and surging. Is this a stuck relay situation?

Where should I start with any of these issues? I'll pull the technical manual but would like to get opinions before taking a wrench to it. I understand there are specific starting places in order to get it right.

Thanks to all. Very happy to have found steel soldiers and this forum, it's been a great help!

-G

g2reeves

I have the exact same problem I'll let you know when I figure it out
Thanks, boatman69. For hurricane season here in the Houston area I've locked the controller out with a zip tie and manually control the throttle with the knob on the mechanical governor. Everything works great in this condition, but it doesn't auto throttle and uses more fuel, makes more noise, etc. But, it works for now which is the important part.

The intermittent short issue has gone away now that the generator is under cover. I have a feeling moisture is the culprit as has been mentioned on other threads, and has not come up as an issue the last several times I've run it.

boatman69

I live in Southwest Florida humid as all get-out and I have one that has no problems whatsoever I think I'm going to dig into the inverter and see what's going on with it

boatman69

Well I've got them both working good now perhaps it was moisture but if you don't open the contactor before you shut it down it will rev up and act funny

boatman69

Yep always turn off the back feed breaker on my main as a ritual forgot to do it on the genny one day thought it was all messed up! As Quirky they maybe I really like these generators I have a 100 gallon semi tank and can run for quite a while with that being in South Florida you just never know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks