• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-8xx engine paint

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Anyone have a lead to the Onan DNxM diesel engine paint?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Onan or somebody painted the engine at some point.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MEP-802A and MEP-803A engines are factory painted Forest Green 34083.

DN2M-1 and DN4M-1 new or rebuilt are factory painted Forest Green 34083 for engines under military contract. (yes, lister-petter LPW2 & LPW4 is the same and can be found in all kinds of colors)

Last edited:

jimbo913

Thanks. I posted about this awhile back and never got a solid answer. Let me know if you find a good fair priced source for aerosol cans.

Chrispyny

Thanks. I posted about this awhile back and never got a solid answer. Let me know if you find a good fair priced source for aerosol cans.
Agreed. Let us know. i love touching up with favtory paint.

I have a local auto body supply shop next to my work that can make up aerosol cans of any paint you want. The problem is they cost is like $35-45 a can.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MEP-802/803 Engine paint

Howdy,
I can say the stove bright forest green is a exact match, but maybe not as shiny.
Color: Forest Green.
• Tested to 1200 degrees F.
• Contains a silicone protectant.
• Rust Resistant.

Forrest Technical Coatings, Stove Bright, Forest Green
Amazon has it here, a little pricey
Stove Bright Forest Green.jpg
2007 MEP-803A right side
Before After
1MEP803A rt side.jpgrt side after.jpg
2007 MEP-803A left side
Before After
3MEP803A lt side.jpg 4MEP803A rt side.jpg

I like how it has come out.:-D

Last edited:

Chrispyny

Dang. That came out beautiful!!! I'll be getting me a can to touch up the engine cover below the oil fill. Seems it always peels in that spot. Thanks for the follow up!

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know how you pulled that off unless you tried multiple colors, but I thank you!
Howdy Jim,
After a few phone calls, I narrowed down the color. Plus, we have some members here which work up on the MEP factory.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I really did a quicky paint job there. I used some heavy duty aluminum foil to wrap and cover stuff, and lightly painted some general areas.;)

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I have not found a decent priced source yet. I guess the amazon price is ok, if your not needing lots.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I do not know what other engines use this color. I got some help from someone up at the Fermont line with paint color. I do know it matches 2007 MEP-802A and MEP-803A.

Forest Green

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
The paint still looks good after running the engine.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

The paint sill looks good on the engine. I have about 40 hours on it after painting.

The paint is 1200° rated.

Ray70

I can also attest to the fact that Daybreak's suggestion of Stove Bright is a great match for the green engine paint. I've used it on several newer machines and it looks perfect.
My question to all you MEP-8XXA enthusiasts is: On the older ( mid-90's) 5K machines, the Onan engines I've seen were more of a gray color. I can not seem to find any info on the gray, only the green.
Does anyone have a suggestion on a source / brand for this gray engine paint?
If not I'll try some local parts stores and see if I can find anything close "off the shelf"

Ray70

After looking closer in the sunlight, I suppose I should call the color more of a grayish green. Definitely more grayish than the newer machines, but maybe it could be green that has faded out over time? Not sure...