• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-8xx series fuel pump

cbisson

Craig as you have found, they are out of stock in almost all places at the moment. Just put a call into Airtex ASC... they are not discontinued thankfully. They are on national backorder, coming in from overseas. They have a tentative landed date of 3/15. A great time for folks to start getting all of these small widgets in their parts bins, if they are able to.
Just an FYI. The Airtex G-17 filters are now in stock. I just got my order in at Summit Racing.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just had to use an E8135 on a machine in the aux fuel position. A bit of alternate mounting (square Facet was there before), and shes in there like factory. Check out the nice note left for me upon initial inspection....

e155c859e250789698fed99b467ca58e08593950-1 (1).jpg57cabcd62eb9ea9352dad0c4aefe20f243aa1d04-1.jpg

And yes, nice fuel level switch...

cbisson

I just had to use an E8135 on a machine in the aux fuel position. A bit of alternate mounting (square Facet was there before), and shes in there like factory. Check out the nice note left for me upon initial inspection....

View attachment 792558View attachment 792557

And yes, nice fuel level switch...
FYI there are still 1074s to be had.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1074 in stock, but because its specially terminated to fit exactly in place of the main fuel pump, thats where I will keep it for. The other unit is more generic in terms of exit and entrance orientation, and since on the aux fuel input one side is flexible line (versus all molded for the other position)... it was a better fit.

Just had to take the right angle fitting off the bad pump to reuse here. This machine is headed to a SS member, so I wanted to make sure it was done well.

Superfrank

Thanks everyone for your help, again! Better for me to find out now ahead of hurricane season as I live in Central Florida out in the country, frequently lose power, and sometimes in the event of a hurricane for as many as 7-10 days (Michael And Maria)! When this generator is working it's really awesome, I guess after sitting around in a warehouse for all those years stuff like this will go bad. I had to replace the alternator last year, so I guess it's to be expected. At least we all have somewhere to come when we need help! You guys rock!
Be Well! Frank

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Superfrank

Gentlemen, I got the E8135 installed for the primary pump, It installed well in the factory position. The top line is a bit of a stretch, but I got it to reach and hooked up. Runs like a champ again. Next weekend I'm going to replace the Aux pump as it has failed too. I'm going to Light In The Dark's post as a reference. I'm actually hunting a second generator for my neighbor. He likes my set-up and wants to duplicate it at his place. I'm going to check the classifieds now. If anyone has an alternate source for an MEP 803 it would be much appreciated. Thanks again fellas!

Superfrank

Gentlemen,

My nephews (both separated military in avionics/electronics) were over and installed the aux fuel pump for me this weekend. We didn't check the pump or function because the primary tank was about 3/4 full the pump didn't come on, or so they thought I reckon. Fast forward to yesterday afternoon , normal 20 minute exercise cycle. I was unloading stuff from the car and the generator came on and I didn't think anything of it. Later I came out to work on the tractor and looked over at the generator and there was fuel everywhere! What a mess. I couldn't understand why the aux pump came on as the tank was pretty full already, but it had to be the pump cycling on causing the problem. When I unscrewed the fill cap the the fuel poured out. I have since cleaned up the mess to EPA specs 🤫 and shut off my reserve tank fuel line so the even when the pump comes on there's no fuel to pull into the tank. I guess the fuel float switch is bad, or the solenoid is somehow messed up. Guyfang had a post on another thread, but that fella wasn't getting any fuel. So I need troubleshooting steps or a place to go and look for them please. Also, I started it and watched it run and found a very slight leak in what I think its a fuel return line back to the tank. I'm not sure if it was caused by yesterday's overflow or what but the line appears to be just pushed on. Any ideas?

Remembering our fallen service men and women today. It's a Holiday for us, but was no picnic for them! God Bless them and this great country we live in; thanks to them and all of you that have served to protect our freedoms. 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't want to assume, but this happened with the S1 switch in prime+aux correct? Or the regular run position?

These lines just leak. Time to take the top off, and replace it with something better (I use a Gates hose, off the spool at O Reillys. Other hunt out the OEM Contitech... its been discussed here). No better time to fail then when you are already working on it for something else (though it never feels that way when you are dealing with it). Replace the entire length, plus the T fittings, up top. Easy project, you will see.

Superfrank

Well Light I'm not really sure. I bought the Innova board which makes everything automatic we wired the board per the instructions so that if you have an aux tank it would come on and function and go off when the tank was full. I'll attach the Innova instructions so you can review them and maybe someone can add them in the tech manual area if they aren't already there. The way I have it set up the S1 stays in the off position all the time. The board from Innova cranks the engine when the power goes off, flips the auto switch for power and then reverses the whole process after a cool down when the lights come back on. It also has the Aux fuel option wired in the board and controls that. There are dip swithces you flip for the various options. When I first hooked up the generator I put 5 gallons in the main supply tank and everything seemed to work as it should. I also have the solar pulsetec military battery maintainer hooked up to keep the batteries up. I live in Central Florida home of the Hurricanes so I wanted as much hands free operation as possible.

Do those fuel lines just push on? No claps or anything? They must be barbed connections? I did my supply fuel line with braided stainless steel outer as it is out in the weather and I didn't wildlife chewing on it, can I use that? What size fuel line and how much would I need to replace it all?

I love this generator, it runs everything. Sometimes I get frustrated, but it sat in a warehouse somewhere for 30+ years so it'll take a bit to get all the stuff sorted out. Every time the power has gone off though it's turned the lights as AC back on!

Thanks for your reply!

Attachments

Zed254

I had the aux fuel pump level switch hang up on me one time in my 802 and the aux pump just kept pumping. I was watching the refill and was able to stop the aux pump by switching S1 from "Aux Fuel" to "Prime and Run". I reached into the tank and moved the switch floats up and down which seemed to fix the problem. But now I don't trust an automatic refill: I'm always standing by when the Aux Fuel Pump is on. My machine is configured as it was by the military - no auto start. There's a switch available on Ebay: 6680-01-450-6330. Check the TMs for troubleshooting and details. TMs here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threa...-generator-and-mep-803-10kw-generator.148871/

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are all barbs on the return line. If you look up return line threads here, I am sure you will find the numbers. The Ts in the upper end of the return are just 1/8" vacuum tees.

m32825

Was it "downhill" from your reserve tank to the generator? If so, perhaps the aux pump ran once, stopped, then gravity made the mess via syphoning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks