• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 952 diesel generator

rmgill

RE: Any going North

I'm also curious about these. My S280 Project would like to have power over and above shore power and some deep cycle batteries in two sets of two (parallel and series) would give me lots of amps and the ability to charge the batteries then shut the gen set down and then charge again as I need.

Question is, how do the voltage controls work to prevent over charging batteries? Insofar as making them quieter, one can always extend the exhaust pipe to a larger muffler that has a long stack so it's quieter AND you can add more sound insulation to the case.

Coast

MEP-952 APU

The set you are looking at is the obsolete unit which was replaced by the MEP-952B. The MEP-952 uses a Farymann single cylinder engine manufactured in Germany. These are APU's which do not have batteries or fuel tanks contained in them. They run quite well and have a hand crank starting feature. The unit operates at 3000 RPM and is direct driving the alternator. Just thought I could add some info.

CMI

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have the contact info for the gentleman who has these? I am looking for atleast 1, maybe 2 of this model. I will post a WTB also.

Guyfang

Staff member
I am courious about this generator. I repaired generators for 20 years in the Army. I know the MEP-952B real well. But I have never seen a MEP-952. From the piciures, I would swear that the sets were MEP-952B's. I saw the data plate picture, and copied the NSN and TM number down. I looked them up in the newest power generation ETM, and no dice. Nothing. So what I am asking is does anyone have a manual for an MEP-952?

Last edited:

bimota

So whatever happened? 3000rpm unit per specs - 70db at 24 feet - APU like the MEP-903 which was f-in loud. Who ran one on their camper and got divorced?

Peaceodarock

I have one of these and could really use some help getting it started. It ran great when I got it a few months ago, looks new, use it as a backup to solar off grid homestead. Troubleshooting manual says replace control board...really??? Hope the Army carried spares!! Over $30,000 of taxpayer money new. I paid $450. Can you help via internet or phone? I need help getting it to run again. Ran fine and I have less than an hour on it... Thanks, Steve

JonBlack

Why don't you tell us what's wrong? And yes, often the control board goes bad.
Found a stack of these at Shirley's. The MEP 952 diesel generator sets providing 28VDC at 180A. So, here we have a nice 5KW set, but it is DC. I can invert this.

My question, are these designed for continuous duty? The application would be overnight power for high-powered camping (3KW loads), mounted in an M105 trailer behind the deuce.

Any info on them would be sincerely appreciated, they seem compact and nicely enclosed. I hope he has one working, unknown how long sitting there.

Bigger images here:
http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/travel/steelsoldiers1/20061030/index0004.html
I have the opportunity to buy one of these with 2400hrs, guy is asking 500 bucks. Is that a good price? Also, how would I convert it to AC?

Guyfang

Staff member
I have the opportunity to buy one of these with 2400hrs, guy is asking 500 bucks. Is that a good price? (It is if it works right. It is if you want a 24 VDC APU. ) Also, how would I convert it to AC? (You cant. Or you can, but would need to replace the Main gen and that would cost about as much as the APU.)

JonBlack

I have the opportunity to buy one of these with 2400hrs, guy is asking 500 bucks. Is that a good price? (It is if it works right. It is if you want a 24 VDC APU. ) Also, how would I convert it to AC? (You cant. Or you can, but would need to replace the Main gen and that would cost about as much as the APU.)
10-4 thank you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks