• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP Drawing restoration

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to spend some time to restore the electrical diagram for the MEP-802/803 machines. This will take a few evenings to do.

My goal is to have a multi-layer PDF that 1. you can actually read, 2. allows for different layers to be turned on and off with each layer representing a different operational mode (Start/RUN/OFF). 3. I also plan to include a little troubleshooting advice on how to use the diagnostic port.

Here is how you can help - It would be great if someone could type all the text for the legend down the left side of the page.

You can save it in a standard text file. Just about any format is OK. I'll paste it in there when I'm done with the graphics.

You help will be much appreciated.

Edit - Here is the link to the Google Drive version of the doc. This will be updated as we go.

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris,

I'd be happy to help out. :-D
I'll generate the text file for everything on the left of the drawing and post it.

Kurt

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's hard to read a lot of the text from the PDF, but here is what I see (with ? where I could not make any sense of what the letter/number was):

A1 AC VOLTAGE REGULATOR
A2 MALFUNCTION INDICATOR
A3 FREQUENCY TRANSDUCER
A9 FLOAT SWITCH MODULE
A10 ??? EMI FILTER
B1 CRANKING MOTOR
BT1 BATTERY 12V
BT2 BATTERY 12V
CB? DC CONTROL POWER CIRCUIT BREAKER
CBGND CONTROL BOX GROUND
CPGND CONTROL PANEL GROUND
CR DIODES
CT1 CURRENT TRANSFORMER
CT2 CURRENT TRANSFORMER
CT3 CURRENT TRANSFORMER
??1 PANEL LIGHT
??2 PANEL LIGHT
??3 PANEL LIGHT
DS6 INQ LT BATTLE SHORT
DS7 INQ LT SC CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER
E1 AUXILIARY FUEL PUMP
E2 FUEL PUMP
FL1 LOW FUEL LEVEL FLOAT SWITCH
FL2 AUXILIARY FUEL PUMP FLOAT SWITCH
FU1 FUSE
G1 AC GENERATOR
G2 BATTERY CHARGING ALTERNATOR
GND GROUND
HT COOLANT HIGH TEMPERATURE SWITCH
HTR ENGINE PRE HEATER
J1 CONVENIENCE RECEPTACLE
J3 DIAGNOSTIC RECEPTACLE
K1 AC CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER
K2 CRANKING RELAY
K4 OVERVOLTAGE RELAY
K5 OVERLOAD SHORT CIRCUIT RELAY
K12 ENGINE FAULT RELAY
K13 FIELD FLASH RELAY
K16 CRANK DISCONNECT RELAY
K?? PRE HEAT RELAY
K?? FUEL LEVEL RELAY
K20 OIL PRESSURE RELAY

L0 OUTPUT TERMINAL
L1 OUTPUT TERMINAL
L2 OUTPUT TERMINAL
L3 OUTPUT TERMINAL
L4 STARTER SOLENOID
L5 FUEL SOLENOID
M1 AC VOLTMETER
M2 FREQUENCY METER
M3 TIME METER
M4 BATTERY CHARGING AMMETER
M5 FUEL LEVEL INDICATOR
M6 COOLANT TEMPERATURE INDICATOR
M7 OIL PRESSURE INDICATOR
M8 AC AMMETER
MPU MAGNETIC PICKUP
MT4 BATTERY CHARGING AMMETER SHUNT
MT6 COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENDER
MT7 OIL PRESSURE SENDER
OP LOW OIL PRESSURE SWITCH
P? PLUG MALFUNCTION INDICATOR
R1 VOLTAGE ADJUST POTENTIOMETER
R10 BURDEN RESISTOR
R11 BURDEN RESISTOR
R12 BURDEN RESISTOR
R13 BURDEN RESISTOR
R14 FIELD FLASH RESISTOR
R15 LED RESISTOR
S1 MASTER SWITCH
S2 PANEL LIGHT SWITCH
S3 AC CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER SWITCH
S6 A???M TRANSFER SWITCH
S7 BATTLE SHORT SWITCH
S8 VOLTAGE RECONNECTION SWITCH
S?? DEAD CRANK SWITCH
S?4 CRANK DISCONNECT SWITCH
S?7 EMERGENCY STOP SWITCH
SR1 SLAVE RECEPTICAL
SRGND SLAVE GROUND
TB2 CIRCUIT LOAD TERMINAL BOARD
TB TERMINAL BOARD
V1 V4 VARISTOR AC LOAD LINES
V5 VARISTOR DC SYSTEM

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used the TM -24 for the names, easier to read

A1 AC VOLTAGE REGULATOR
A2 MULTIFUNCTION INDICATOR
A7 FREQUENCY TRANSDUCER
A9 FLOAT SWITCH MODULE
A10-A13 EMI FILTER
B1 CRANKING MOTOR
BT1 BATTERY 12V
BT2 BATTERY 12V
CB1 DC CONTROL POWER CIRCUIT BREAKER
CB3 GROUND FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER
CBGND CONTROL BOX GROUND
CPGND CONTROL PANEL GROUND
CR DIODES
CT1 CURRENT TRANSFORMER
CT2 CURRENT TRANSFORMER
CT3 CURRENT TRANSFORMER
DS1 PANEL LIGHT
DS2 PANEL LIGHT
DS3 PANEL LIGHT
DS6 IND LT BATTLE SHORT
DS7 IND LT AC CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER
E1 AUX FUEL PUMP
E2 FUEL PUMP
FL1 LOW FUEL LEVEL FLOAT SWITCH
FL2 AUXILLARY FUEL PUMP FLOAT SWITCH
FU1 FUSE
G1 AC GENERATOR
G2 BATTERY CHARGING GENERATOR
GND GROUND
HT COOLANT HIGH TEMPERATURE SWITCH
HTR ENGINE PREHEATER
J1 CONVENIENCE RECEPTACLE
J3 DIAGNOSTIC RECEPTACLE
K1 AC CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER
K2 CRANKING RELAY
K4 OVERVOLTAGE RELAY
K8 OVERLOAD/SHORT CIRCUIT RELAY
K12 ENGINE FAUL RELAY
K15 FIELD FLASH RELAY
K16 CRANK DISCONNECT RELAY
K18 PREHEAT RELAY
K19 FUEL LEVEL RELAY
K20 OIL PRESSURE RELAY
L0 OUTPUT TERMINAL
L1 OUTPUT TERMINAL
L2 OUTPUT TERMINAL
L3 OUTPUT TERMINAL
L4 STARTER SOLENOID
L5 FUEL SOLENOID
M1 AC VOLTMETER
M2 FREQUENCY METER
M3 TIME METER
M4 BATTERY CHARGING AMMMETER
M5 FUEL LEVEL INDICATOR
M6 COOLANT TEMPERATURE INDICATOR
M7 OIL PRESSURE INDICATOR
M8 AC AMMETER
MPU MAGNETIC PICKUP
MT4 BATTERY CHARGING AMMETER SHUNT
MT5 FUEL LEVEL SENDER
MT6 COOLANT TEMPERATORE SENDER
MT7 OIL PRESSURE SENDER
OP LOW OIL PRESSURE SWITCH
P4 PLUG MALFUNCTION INDICATOR
R1 VOLTAGE ADJUSTMENT POTENTIOMETER
R10 BURDEN RESISTOR
R11 BURDEN RESISTOR
R12 BURDEN RESISTOR
R13 BURDEN RESISTOR
R15 LED RESISTOR
S1 MASTER SWITCH
S2 PANEL LIGHT SWITCH
S5 AC INTERRUPTOR SWITCH
S6 AM/VM TRANSFER SWITCH
S7 BATTLE SHORT SWITCH
S8 VOLTAGE RECONNECTION SWITCH
S10 DEAD CRANK SWITCH
S14 CRANK DISCONNECT SWITCH
S17 EMERGENCY STOP SWITCH
SR1 SLAVE RECEPTACLE
SRGND SLAVE RECEPTACLE GROUND
TB2 OUTPUT LOAD TERMINAL BOARD
TB TERMINAL BOARD(S)
V1 V4 VARISTOR AC LOAD LINES
V5 VARISTOR DC SYSTEM

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I haven't said "I love you Guys" of late, but will here and now.

This is something that's been needed for a long time. This old fart just isn't up to doing something like this.

I my next life, LOOK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be up to speed. SUPER, SUPER, SUPER!!

I will thank you in the name of everyone who will ever use this work of art in the future.

Guy Wiltfang

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't said "I love you Guys" of late, but will here and now.

This is something that's been needed for a long time. This old fart just isn't up to doing something like this.

I my next life, LOOK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be up to speed. SUPER, SUPER, SUPER!!

I will thank you in the name of everyone who will ever use this work of art in the future.

Guy Wiltfang
It will be a huge help Guyfang if you can review the drawing and let me know if there are mistakes/updates that need to be made (mine or from the factory). I will be able to correct the errors now and make sure we have the best resource available. It will make life a lot better for all us mere mortals as more of these units retire from military service.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! I wasn't able to work on it tonight. I'm flying home tomorrow to winterize the house. When its done I hope that its a benefit to everyone. Its the least I can do to help out this great community.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I have it to the point that I need a few other sets of eyes to review for mistakes. I have a few symbols to clean up and a bunch of lines to tidy up but this should be in pretty good shape. Once I know the background drawing is accurate I'll go in and do the layers for the different switch positions.

I didn't put the watermark on this one but please consider it draft till its been reviewed.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
************########%%%%%%%% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This means, I wrote this all up, pushed the wrong button and it went to La La Land!

I found a few things. I am sure you have already corrected them, or at least seen them. But just to cover all bases, here we go.

1. The K-15 & K-16 contacts in series with the OP, (Oil Press Switch) are normally closed. They are here depicted as open.

2. On the A-9, (Float Switch Module) the FL-1 and FL-2 linkage symbols are missing, that show the closing and opening function.

3. On the S-5, (AC Interrupt Switch) the contact numbers 1&3 are reversed.

4. On the K-20 contacts, above the test point K, (J-3 Diagnostic Canon Plug), the contacts symbols are missing.

5. On the K-2, (Cranking Relay) the the linkage and close contact symbol is missing for the A1 & A2 contacts.

6. On the S-10, (Dead Crank Switch) the terminal number "1" is missing.

7. To the left of the MPU, (Mag Pickup) is a set of K-16 contacts. One is normally closed. The other is normally open. Under the normally open set of contacts, should be another set of opener contacts, labeled P/O S-7. The contact numbers 1 and 2 are there, but the opener is not. Its just a straight line.

8. Below the MPU, in the dotted line box, S-14, Crank Disconnect Switch.) should be inserted.

9. On the M-4, (Battery Charging Ammeter) the "+" & "-" notations are missing. The Wire to pin 2 of the MT4, (Battery Charging Ammeter Shunt) should be +, the wire to MT4-3 should be -.

10. Below and to the left of the K-12, (Engine Fault Relay) are two sets of K-12 contacts. One set is normally open, one set is normally closed. The closed set is missing.

11. On the HT, (Coolant High Temperature Switch, the thermal symbol is missing from the normally open contacts.

12. The OP, (oil Press Switch) is depicted as open, and on the original schematic it is depicted as closed. Also missing is the pressure symbole under the contacts.

Hope thats it. My old eyes may not catch everything, please do tripple check me. All in all, not bad at all. I had to do something like this about 44 years ago. I about lost my mind. Chemicals didnt help!

So back over to you sir!

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! I had some of those on the list to correct. You answered a couple of questions from the schematic.

One thing of note I wanted to talk to you about. I redrew S5 to be more straight forward. The way it was drawn before I think it is harder to understand. I flipped the terminal numbers so they switch arrangement would be the same.

Since I'm home for a few days and have access to a MEP802 and MEP803 I plan to go out and spot check some of the areas of confusion that I have with the drawing. S5 being one of them.

I'll work on these and post an update. Anything I change will be in color so it will be easy to see what I've fixed.

Thanks a ton for the feedback!

Guyfang

Staff member
One thing of note I wanted to talk to you about. I redrew S5 to be more straight forward. The way it was drawn before I think it is harder to understand. I flipped the terminal numbers so they switch arrangement would be the same.

Anything I change will be in color so it will be easy to see what I've fixed.
Thats a good Idea! If it makes it simpler, its goood. The color idea is also good. Helps when trying to go over something more then once. I will take a gander again at the second version, later tonight maybe. Its been wet and cold and dark and I have just come back from a several hour walk. Need to get cleaned up. Great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Triple Jim

I find the 802 and 803 circuit diagrams confusing. At least the ones I have are confusing. The 002A and 003A manuals have complete schematics, showing the DC and AC circuits, and even the AC regulator's circuit all in one drawing. Those diagrams make it easy for a guy who knows nothing about the units to see how they work.

Guyfang

Staff member
Triple Jim,

Back in the old days, we could repair lots more on gen sets, then now. Back then, we were allowed to tear apart, for example, the 60 KW, MEP-115A, (400 hertz, 416 volt gen set) static exciter assembly, and the schematics/part manuals had EVERY part listed. So it was possible to fix it all. BUT, rarely did that happen.

First off, ordering just one part, like the static exciter assembly, was faster then ordering 11 items to fix the volt reg imbedded in the static exciter. And in the Army, time was everything. We were on the border between East and West Germany. The HAWK missile system HAD to work, all the time. Waiting forever and a day on a resistor, was unthinkable. Secondly, the supply system would have been overtaxed to the max, if EVERY repair part, to EVERY sub system associated to EVERY major end item was stocked and on hand. Most items were never needed in the first place. Keeping such items on hand was wasted money.

Yes, the old schematics and wire diagrams were easier to use. But, the repair personnel were also better trained. We live in a "pluck and chuck" world now.

The old schematics and wire diagrams were issued in the -12 manuals, in LARGE format. Easy to look at. One did not need a magnifying glass to read it. The army made it easier to use these tools. The soldier of yesteryear was not so well trained. I won't say of lower intelligence, because that's simply not true. But many, in the 60's and 70's had less education. So manuals were made easier to use.

I would be willing to bet your electrical education is a hundred times better then mine. How do you produce a manual to be used by both of us? KISS. Keep it simple stupid. And that's what it is today. Soldiers do not have to know how it works, just what part to install to make it work. Quality manuals would be a waste of money.

On a side note, the first time I looked at german wire diagrams and schematics, I was lost! Nothing like what we use. After working on several LARGE cranes, I found the german way of displaying electrical circuits easier to read.

Guyfang

Staff member
Here we go! Second look see.

1. K-15 coil still marked X15.

2. G2, (Battery Charging Alternator) the top wire should have a + next to it. The bottom a -.

3. L5, (Fuel Solenoid) the wire from terminal "C" should have CR1 marked next to it going downwards.

After 6 look throughs, that's all I can find. Still wont say I caught it all, but my head is busting. So I will give it another time around in the AM. Its getting late and this old soldier needs to get smart on M151A1 jeeps before he heads off to the final roundup.

Super job! And you work cheap!!!! Come on over here to visit, I will buy you beer for a while Partner.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks