• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP Exhaust max temperatures (selecting braided flex hose)

3dAngus

I was sure you were mistaken and you had some stainless laundry unit flex hoses which look like aluminum, but I have no idea what that thing is. You sure don't want to hook it up to a generator if it is aluminum.

ETN550

Only a small amount of movement by the flex is needed. The auto parts stores sell nice short sections of stainless gas tight bellows hose assemblies with stainless over braiding. They are used on many different cars around the header and converter. Some have bolted connections others are threaded or weld on.

Some header wrap around the pipe would also reduce heat and prevent burns. It will radiate a lot of heat naked.

The spiral wound flex will work fine but is not air tight. I used some under a diesel truck and the stainless version never wore out. It actually resists flexing once it gets hot a few times. But it will always give if there is enough force trying to move it.

storeman

Earlier I mentioned $30-35 flex from the auto stores in 5 ft lengths. These $70 pieces of crap were new when photographed and red rusted within a month. They have very little flex. They had to be bastardized to attach to the exhausts. Haven't had a need to run the gennys except for maintenance this year. Who knows how long they would hang on with pipe clamps and aluminum tape?

Two sets of pics for comparison....Lesson learned on my part is buy a laundry unit or find a friend who bought one.
Jerry:driver:

gen shed 004.jpggen shed 001.jpgIMG_1747.JPGIMG_1744.JPGIMG_1743.JPG

Attachments

dependable

I was sure you were mistaken and you had some stainless laundry unit flex hoses which look like aluminum, but I have no idea what that thing is. You sure don't want to hook it up to a generator if it is aluminum.
I was told these were the pipes they used on MEPs in sandbag emplacements and the like, but I don't know.

CDR

Does anyone have any of the stainless laundry piping they like to sell? would love to get some

Last edited:

Harleyd315

Heres what I have and I think works well. First I took 1 1/4 X 1 1/2 bushing, ground off the threads on the 1 1/2" side, then got an exhaust pipe adapter 1 1/2" X 2" and slid it over the bushing, welded adapter to the bushing. Then I used 2" 90 deg exhaust pipes and connected 2" Stainless exhaust flex pipe. Where the pipes connect and where the flex is attached I used 2" stainless band clamps. To keep the pipes together I welded standard exhaust clamps together and then welded a piece of angle on the end and clamp that on the tailgate of my trailer. Cost about $150 plus my time. The total length is about 6 ft, works well and I don't think I increased back pressure much if any.

Attachments

CDR

Heres what I have and I think works well. First I took 1 1/4 X 1 1/2 bushing, ground off the threads on the 1 1/2" side, then got an exhaust pipe adapter 1 1/2" X 2" and slid it over the bushing, welded adapter to the bushing. Then I used 2" 90 deg exhaust pipes and connected 2" Stainless exhaust flex pipe. Where the pipes connect and where the flex is attached I used 2" stainless band clamps. To keep the pipes together I welded standard exhaust clamps together and then welded a piece of angle on the end and clamp that on the tailgate of my trailer. Cost about $150 plus my time. The total length is about 6 ft, works well and I don't think I increased back pressure much if any.
Nice work

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks