• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-o16b ???

tt549

Just hooked up my new MEP 016b 220 V had two window AC,s running and what ever else was on worked fine 15% power useage all was good turned on oven and power useage went in the red so I tripped the breaker turned off oven now will not go past 45v on gageaua
what did I fry ? where can I get it ? is it something I (not good with tools )can put in? Thanks Paul

Isaac-1

Well a typical electric oven at full power draws something between 3700 and 7500 watts and you had it connected to a 3,000 watt generator, sure it is a very conservative 3,000 watts, but if you had the oven on, plus those other loads you were way over 3,000 watts.

As to what did you fry, there are a couple of possibilities, worst case and what I think is most likely here is you fried the output windings in your generator end, which for practical purposes means time to buy a new generator. If you are lucky you only fried the exciter rectifier bridge diodes or less likely the voltage regulator. (there are a couple of other possibilities, but only testing will tell).

It seems you kept applying load to the generator until something broke, and it did, generators are generally designed with breakers sized to protect the wiring primarily and then the gernators against a direct wiring short, not a slow build up of overload, the problem is the windings inside the generator head can overheat and fail before the breaker has time to trip on slight to moderate overload.

Ike

p.s. if you had 15% power use on the meter with 2 air conditioners hooked up I suspect something was wrong with the meter, also did you have them both hooked up to the same side of the windings, if you had it in 120/240V single phase mode you effectively split the available 120V loads in half between the 2 output lines, giving each about 1.5 KW worth of power. Connecting 2 1,000 watt generators to the same side during operation would leave one set of windings loaded to 2,000 watts, and the other at 0 watts, so you would be in overload there. I suspect this relatively limited amount of 120V power available in 120/240V split single phase mode is part of the reason it is not officially supported on these 3KW generators.

Last edited:

jbk

you may have taken out some or all of the rotating diodes in the head and or a/c regulator even the windings. my oven is 5500 watts all by itself. serverly overloaded. verify voltage with a meter.
try to get the tms and read them . good luck

tt549

I was at the generator when the wife turned on oven shut off breaker when it hit red I went back later set control to 110V started unit had 110 on L1 0 V on L2 shut down unit
set control to 240V fired it up had 110V L1 110V L2 240V between the two DID NOT HOOK BACK TO HOUSE maby it will still work :oops::?:

Isaac-1

I would suggest doing some more run testing, you may have a problem with a part going out once it warms up. This is not a fun thing to deal with in a real emergency. I guess your one of the lucky ones to have your MEP-016b wired to get 120/240V split phase when the knob is set for 240V (note it does not say 120V/240V), official wiring diagram (if you can call it that with the number of mistakes in the TM) shows these are connected 240V only, the real world is somewhat different with the majority being wired/rewired for 120/240V with the selector in 240V single phase mode.

Ike

tt549

Ike
You are right it says 120 not 110 in 240 mode (inside ) I can get 110V on V1-0 and on V2-0
V1-2 I can get 220V
I wired it to the house worked like I said I know nothing about split phase
the unit had 1.8 hours on it when I got it the guy I got it from said it was dry crated when he got it he put the fuel lines on it ( came with it ) put oil & filter in it and got an air filter for it (not with it ) bought a 24 V battery only started once every 2 mo to keep battery charged
I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HOW TO RUN IT

Paul

Isaac-1

It is fairly simple, the worst thing about the MEP-016b is the awful TM, full of all sorts of MAJOR mistakes, wiring diagrams with the wrong voltages showing, etc.

tt549

Well the power went out last night so I powered up my MEP-016B had power on the gage so I went in the house to shut off all 220 V breakers :D when I came back I had 45 V on both sides
Ike was right agin
What part goes out when the unit warms up :deadhorse: Paul

Munchies

Guessing voltage regulator but it could be a few things.
Do you have a Tech manual yet?

If so, time to get one and or get reading. Should have all the self tests one will need to diagnose problems with a multimeter.

Isaac-1

Starting with the things that are fixable, I would isolate the problem by doing a manual field flash test, by disconnecting the F1 and F2 wires (may be listed as F+/F-) from the voltage regulator and momentarily applying 12V to them through a small fuse (1-2 amp) with the generator running. (Do this after you have ran it for a bit, let it warm up and confirmed the problem is going on now) If the voltage comes up to the expected ballpark you know the problem is likely in the voltage regulator, if it stays low it is likely in the rectifier bridge or in the generator end itself. Exact instructions for this test should be in the TM. Once you get to that point report back and we can isolate from there. Also you should always use a multimeter for these test in case the problem is onboard gagges and the power output is really good.

Ike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks