• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-oo3a Glow Plug

redlight

I have a 1000 hour 003a that I have just started after a year of ownership. I purchased the generator in a 416 trailer from GSA in western Mass for $500 last year. I bribed a road crew with a bobcat to unload it and i tucked it away in the garage. I kept the trailer for use with my M151. I have just retired and it is now time to clean up the garage.
I had three military generators all not running, a 3KW MEP-016a, a 5KW 017a, and a MEP 003a.
The 5KW is now running after I cleaned the carburetor, The 3 KW needs a Fuel Pump as it is not pulling fuel from the on board tank. The big diesel fueled monster is now running. The original problem as reported in the GSA ad was that it needed a new injector pump. Fuel was not getting to the injectors. After reviewing the manuals (ON Line THANK YOU ALL) I determined that there was a fuel shut off solenoid that has to work before fuel gets to the pump. I manually lifted the valve and would you believe the unit started. However exhaust came from two places. the normal exhaust from the exhaust pipe and a hole in the front cylinder. After reviewing the manual I found the front glow plug missing.
The question of the day is does anyone have a used or broken plug to fit the hole. I would like to try and see what else needs work before I sink a lot on money into new parts. a new solenoid lists for close to $500. Are all of the glow pigs the same hole size? would a bolt fit the hole? I am open for ideas.
Thanks
Bruce

Guyfang

Staff member
Before you decide that the fuel cut off solenoid is bad, try testing it IAW the TM. Also check for 24 volts at the terminals. I would bet you are not getting voltage at the solenoid. I looked for glow plugs 7-8 months ago, and the price wasn't very high. Have you looked up the part number/ NSN? Plugged it in your browser yet?

redlight

Thanks for the quick reply. The internet has a price of $40 from various suppliers based upon the NSN in the manual. It is cross referenced on the vendors website as a glow plug for the unit.
I plan on selling the unit but first I want to see if it will go full speed. I see a price of $175 for take out fuel cutoff solenoids. I will trouble shoot power to it after it cools down. I am in Boston and it is 95 degrees with a dew point of 75, tough to work outside.
Thanks again.

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a parts MEP002A and a couple of new injectors I bought that I ended up not using. I also have several MEP017A's, one of which I could probably start parting out. Not trying to get rich off of parts, just want make it worth my while to take parts off and ship. Let me know what you need (pref email, which I only check once or twice a day)

redlight

Thanks Gimpyrobb,
I have sent Ziggyo a PM. I hope it goes through as it is the first time I have used it.
thanks for you help- this is what the group does so well help each other.
Bruce

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks