• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep wont start just a loud thunk

GHOSTOFAGREATMAN

Please help I just spent the last hour or so trying to get one of my mep003's up and running. Changed all the filters and oil installed two new batteries went to fire it up turned the knob and all I got was a loud thunk so I turned the switch again another loud thunk does any one know what the problem might be ?

Carl_in_NH

On the blower end of the engine, there's a small plastic plug in the center of the sheetmetal grille; remove that plug, and use a 3/4" (if memory serves) socket, extension, and breaker bar to turn the engine over by hand. It's fairly easy to do - I had to turn mine over to manually time the replacement injector pump. If you can turn the engine over by hand, but all you get is a 'thunk' with the key, then it's a solonoid or starter problem. Let us know on the forum what you find and we'll walk you through troubleshooting.

Carl_in_NH

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you're in for a tear down of some sort; my thought would be to seperate the engine from the generator and see which one is stuck, then continue tearing into the problem assembly until you find the issue. I doubt it's the generator - but one never knows.

I suppose you could see if it's something like a stuck piston by pulling the heads and getting some Kroil in there to see if it will free up.

Anyone else have any easier thoughts?

TexAndy

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you're in for a tear down of some sort; my thought would be to seperate the engine from the generator and see which one is stuck, then continue tearing into the problem assembly until you find the issue. I doubt it's the generator - but one never knows.

Anyone else have any easier thoughts?
ATF/acetone penetrating oil mix?

GHOSTOFAGREATMAN

I guess it ran for at least 1000 hours on the meter this is a GL purchase from Richmond . I just put a little MM down in one of the cylinder and let it set for one hour and tried to to start it again and the fan moved about a quarter turn.

123mack

Don't use the starter to try and free up the engine. Let the oil soak some more, turn the engine one way then another, a little at the time until you can turn it a full revolution. Once its freed up, turn it over three or four revolutions by hand. This will open the exhaust valves and allow any oil to escape. If you don't and there is enough oil in the cylinder when you hit the starter, a hydrostatic lock can develop and bend a rod.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks