• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002/MEP003 Hours

Deucenut

How many hours can I realistically expect to get out of a MEP002 or MEP003 if it is maintained regularly? I understand that they were overhauled at 5000 hours. Is that a realistic life expectancy?

Isaac-1

My understanding is the military considered them deployable at up to 5,000 hours, which would suggest a service life of longer than that. Over on the Smokstak generator board there are a few known documented cases of Onan DJB / DJC generators (which use the civilian version of the same engines as the MEP-002a / MEP-003a going over 10,000 hours between rebuilds, but these tended to have regular service, valve adjustment, etc. As well as a few with numbers WAY over that.

Jimc

to give you an idea, i pulled an 002 apart with 3600 hours and the hatch marks were still in the cylinder bores. if maintained i believe they are well over 10k. probably about double that.

johnray13

I don't doubt for a minute the these units can make those hours but from what I have seen, many of they will require quite a bit for work after about a thousand hours. Mainly from neglect, rust/corrosion and UV (gummed/rusted/stuck fuel tanks, pumps, lines and IP, corroded controls and worn our rubber grommets, bushings and fuel lines).

Not a rebuild by any stretch but still costly and time consuming work. Once those are corrected the motor-gen end will still run strong for a long time.

Deucenut

Jim, thanks for the response. I have read several of your threads and gleaned much information from them.
Johnray, I understand that there will be issues that come up. I can handle those things much more easily than a full rebuild, not to mention finding rings and other rebuild parts.

I love this site!

Jimc

Absolutley john, thats why i restore the units the way way i do. Unless you really go through these things i think there will always be the annoying little issues. Imo, better to just go through them 100 and take care of everything so you have a really reliable unit. I think deuce's question was mire engine related.

if you look at most of the new generators with perkins, kubota, isuzu engines. Most of these manufacturers have rebuild times of 25k hours. I think with proper maintenance there is no reason why we should not get atleast close to that with our onan models. Of course withban 003 that would be close to $100k in deisel fuel at todays prices lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks