• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002 & MEP003 Portable Load Tester

s011883

I built a portable load tester so I can now load test my generators. I needed to monitor the voltage and current and the frequency. I started with an ammo can and added three switches that control my 220 volt electric heaters that plug into the side on the ammo box. I found three LED displays on that big auction site, and then I used 25' #2 Aluminum service entrance cable for my power cable. I can control the load and compare the digital gauges to the analog gauges on my generators. Just wanted to share.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377572098.220182.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1377572098.220182.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1377572157.269021.jpg

Last edited:

glassk

Good idea and nice build, I started to load my Mep002A with a couple of heaters and some stage lights i have, turns out you need a box like that . thanks for sharing .

[thumbzup]

wciguy

I built a portable load tester so I can now load test my generators. I needed to monitor the voltage and current and the frequency. I started with an ammo can and added three switches that control my 220 volt electric heaters that plug into the side on the ammo box. I found three LED displays on that big auction site, and then I used 25' #2 Aluminum service entrance cable for my power cable. I can control the load and compare the digital gauges to the analog gauges on my generators. Just wanted to share.View attachment 448022View attachment 448022View attachment 448023
Looks like you did a nice job on your test rig. I have been using a pair of 4000 watt 220 volt heaters to load test MEP-002a gensets and I add a 5kw heater to these when testing a MEP-003a. I am at about 3400 feet so the 8000 watts and 13,000 watts are good tests for these units. Normally load them like this for one hour. The generator heads are no more than room temperature at the end of an hour. Have only had one MEP-004a that shut down due to engine overheating. The MEP-018a gas gensets don't like the 13kw load very much.

bimota

Any chance we can get you to post a complete part list and schematic or detailed photos? I'd even pay $20 for that. We started to build one this week and your effort could save us real hours!

ctfjr

That sure looks like a nice clean build - good job. I am also curious what you actually use as a load and where does all that heat go?

s011883

I will post a complete material list and schematic later this week. My load bank is three Dayton 240 volt 4000 watt electric heaters. When I test my 5 KW I use two water heater elements that are in series along with one 4000 watt heater. Basically, I run the generators at 100%. The nice thing is you can turn the load on and off with just the click of a switch. I have also found that this helps me fine tune my governor. I found that when I have a full load and then drop it down to 10 amps, my HZ would creep up to 64.5 HZ.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378164262.230637.jpg

MusgroveM

Ok, first off I'm ignorant........ When you are creating a load for a generator, are you wanting a resistive load like a heater or an inductive load like a motor? Does it mater? Bottom line you are wanting to know if the genertator has a steady 60hz under all loads. Right?
Mike

s011883

Mike

You are correct. A resistive load will never change, unlike reactive loads. A 2hp motor will pull 6 times the power on start-up compared to when it's running full speed. If the governor is set correctly the generator will stay at 60 hz + or - 2%.

glassk

A load-bank test is an essential part of any preventive maintenance practice to ensure your standby generator performs in the event of a power failure. This test checks the generator engine’s ability to perform and provide the required horsepower needed in an emergency. A generator typically runs at a level less than the unit’s rated output capability, so a load bank test provides an artificial load that brings the engine to an acceptable operating temperature, ensuring functionality when your business needs it most.
Over time, lightly loaded generator sets develop wet-stacking and carbon buildup in the combustion chambers and exhaust system, which can lead to increased oil and fuel consumption and poor engine performance. The use of a load bank helps prevent this and determines the generator’s capability to produce maximum output in terms of amperage and horsepower.

http://www.crosspoint.cummins.com/generators/generator-load-bank-testing.html

Just copied from the link for info, not for the sales pitch,..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks