• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002 Never Assume and Questions from Newbie

Jimbow

Bought an MEP002 with trailer and bows about 2 years ago. Due to building a new house I hadn't started it since I got it. I decided to change the fluids and filters and imagine my surprise at finding no filters in the canisters. All is good now and the machine runs fine. Only has 14 hours on it.

My questions

All I could get is WIX filters which I thought might not fit but seemed to fit just fine. Tightening the bolts I could feel the springs behind the filters compressing meaning they were sealing. Should I be concerned that these will not work well

The bolts that hold the fuel filter canisters in place have a plug in the middle of them. Is this an air bleed for the fuel system?

Lastly the battery charging system. The charge meter needle only comes up to the white section. The batteries are fully charged. Is this normal?
Thanks for any answers.

jamawieb

WIX filters work fine, just not the right gasket
Plug in the middle of the bolt canister is the bleeder
Test the batteries while its running and see if you have 26-30 volts across the battery

Jimbow

That makes me feel better about the filters. Since it had so few hours I just reused the old ones. No Leaks.
Measured the voltage and I got 25 Vdc with the generator running at 60Hz no load.
Should the filters be bled? I got one plug loose but can't budge the other one.
One more question
I poured a 4" slab and put the generator up on 6 X 6's laid on their sides. Starting and running you can feel it in the slab. Should it be placed on isolators? It was designed to be on a trailer which gave it isolators by default.

Jimbow

One more thing. I looked in the manual and it said it takes 5.9 qts of oil. Everyone seems to recommend Rotella 15W40. I put in 4 qts and ran it. Checked the level and it indicates full. Am I missing something?
Thanks for the link to the lube maual. I added it to the library.

jamawieb

That makes me feel better about the filters. Since it had so few hours I just reused the old ones. No Leaks.
Measured the voltage and I got 25 Vdc with the generator running at 60Hz no load.
Should the filters be bled? I got one plug loose but can't budge the other one.
One more question
I poured a 4" slab and put the generator up on 6 X 6's laid on their sides. Starting and running you can feel it in the slab. Should it be placed on isolators? It was designed to be on a trailer which gave it isolators by default.
No you don't really need to bleed the system at the filters, just run the fuel pumps long enough to push the air out. If it started you for sure do not need to worry with it.
No isolators are needed, mount it directly to the 6x6's and call it a day. The wood will insulate a little, to reduce noise.

Last edited:

jamawieb

One more thing. I looked in the manual and it said it takes 5.9 qts of oil. Everyone seems to recommend Rotella 15W40. I put in 4 qts and ran it. Checked the level and it indicates full. Am I missing something?
Thanks for the link to the lube maual. I added it to the library.

The 002a is 4quarts and the 003a is 5.9quarts

Chainbreaker

...I poured a 4" slab and put the generator up on 6 X 6's laid on their sides. Starting and running you can feel it in the slab. Should it be placed on isolators? It was designed to be on a trailer which gave it isolators by default.
Since you have a concrete slab you could use a 3/4" thick 4'x6' solid rubber horse stall mat laid directly on the concrete and still use the 6x6's on top of the mat, or just use the stall mat alone to sit the generator's skid on. The stall matt will act as an isolator and attenuate vibrations as well as absorb some of the noise that might be reflected back up off the concrete slab. Last I checked stall mats run around $35.

Jimbow

That's the best idea yet. I bought one of the mats at the recommendation of the John Deere dealer. I bought a 1023E with a drive over deck. The mat anchors the deck so the tractor doesn't push it along the floor when you drive over it. It will work great to isolate the slab from the vibration. All I have to do is figure out how to lift it and get the mat under it

Chainbreaker

... All I have to do is figure out how to lift it and get the mat under it
If it's still sitting on the 6x6's on the concrete you might be able to find a way to wedge each 6x6 up an inch or so and then slide the horse mat under it. Or rent an engine hoist and lift your 002 up by the lifting eye and pull the 6x6's out and slide in the mat. Or...MacGyver it somehow...use your JD 1023E to pull a cable/chain from lifting eye & over something supported overhead and lift it by pulling. Another thought would be to run something through the pallet forks lifting passages and use jacks to lift it. Whatever method you choose be safe & remember that the -002 weighs something like 1,025+ lbs so be smart about it! Fingers don't like a metal skidded beast dropped on them.

kavesman1

If you're trying to lift it up enough to slide the mat under it...I'd use 2 2x6x8ft boards slid under the gen set. Then use a pair of vehicle scissor jacks under each end of the boards to lift it enough to clear the boards you already have under it. You can use the emergency jacks in a pair of vehicles to get it up into the air.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks