• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002 no fuel to primary pumps

mvarnold

The last time I ran the genset the engine slowed down and stopped and could not start again. I found no fuel getting to the IP. I uncoupled the hose from the onboard tank to the first lift pump and no fuel exited with the switch in prime and run. Pumps are clicking but I can't determine which one or all of them. I read about the EMI filters failing but if the pumps are clicking I would think that I should get some flow. Is there a shutoff solenoid between the tank and first prime pump? I can't see any. Could anyone suggest the next step to determine my issue? I was thinking of pressurizing the tank somehow to eliminate a clogged hose from the tank. The engine always ran great before this total and immediate shutdown.

North Maine

If I'm reading this right you uncoupled the hose from the fuel tank to the first lift pump? Thats on the suction side of the pump so no fuel should come out.

Have you checked your filters?

Start at the first lift pump after the tank and uncouple the discharge side hose and see if you get fuel. Do that each downstream item (second lift pump, first fuel filter, second fuel filter, water separator, injection pump) to find out how far the fuel is going/which item isn't passing fuel.

mvarnold

I am sorry for the poor description. I uncoupled the output hose (top) from the closest pump to the tank and had no fuel out with the pumps clicking and running. So my problem appears to be no fuel from tank through the first pump. I thought the second pump was to be a backup if the issue was a bad first pump. Can the first pump be internally stopped up so the second pump cannot receive fuel?

North Maine

I am sorry for the poor description. I uncoupled the output hose (top) from the closest pump to the tank and had no fuel out with the pumps clicking and running. So my problem appears to be no fuel from tank through the first pump. I thought the second pump was to be a backup if the issue was a bad first pump. Can the first pump be internally stopped up so the second pump cannot receive fuel?
Yes, since I had this same issue with my MEP003A.

Try bypassing the first pump and see if you get fuel then.

Its also possible you have an air leak in between the tank suction and the lift pump. Have you refilled the fuel tank to 100% and tried priming?

Guyfang

Staff member
1602046463047.png

Sometimes it helps to read the -12 TM. Here is a fuel system diagram.
Unplug both both E-Fuel pumps. Place the S1 switch in the run position. Then plug one pump back up. Can you hear it run? It should be running. Unplug it. Repeat steps with second pump. Both running? Or not?

Chainbreaker

What has been your fuel system maintenance routine? When is last time fuel filters were serviced/changed?

As "North Main" suggested work your way from source towards injection pump.

0. Is fuel cap vent set to open position and does it allow passage of air? If not sure, leave it off or not tightened down all the way to test to see if that makes any difference.

1. What does fuel and inside of tank look like? Take out the fuel filler assembly/screen in tank and look at fuel and metal inside. Is fuel cloudy stale or clear-ish? Any rust in tank? If rust or gunky fuel, you should pull the draw tube out and determine if its plugged. Regardless while you have it out clean with Acetone or carb cleaner or similar. While your focused on fuel tank and if you are, or plan on using an auxiliary fuel source, you also want to pull the auxiliary fuel level switch and clean it. The aux switch can easily get gummed up and stick. You most certainly don't want it to stick in the bottom most position as it can over fill your day tank. For that matter, you don't want it to get stuck in any position if you have an Aux fuel source and expect to be able to refill Day Tank automatically.

2. Can you blow through or blow out fuel line to 1st pump to insure its open? Same with all fuel lines.

3. When is last time you took bottoms off fuel pumps and cleaned or replaced screens in bottom of pumps? Be sure to remove magnets off the bottom pump caps and clean off any metallic particles and replace once cleaned.

4. Working your way through all the filters, should you still have no fuel coming out of last fuel filter then its time to remove check valve and soak in Acetone or similar. Also, be sure to open brass purge plug on top of last fuel filter and bleed out any air once you get fuel to that point.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As North Maine stated above try to hook the line from tank to the second pump inlet. Line should go right on. My first pump was bad and also not flowing thru for some reason.

Guyfang

Staff member
As North Maine stated above try to hook the line from tank to the second pump inlet. Line should go right on. My first pump was bad and also not flowing thru for some reason.
If the pump was bad, and no fuel would flow through it, then you probably had the wrong type E-Pump on the set. They look the same. Its just one will allow fuel to flow through when its non-Op, and the other will not. The first thing to do is find out if the pumps run.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looked original but I didn't check the p/n. I think it may have gotten some sediment or something that prevented one or the other valve opening. I have to test it after cleaning.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can normally tell if a pump is running by touching it and feeling the vibrations when it clicks. I've also used a listening stick for this purpose.

Ray70

Keep in mind that one of the biggest problems with those pumps is not that the don't run, but rather the check valves get stuck open or closed. These are very simple pumps to disassemble and clean if they get messed up. If either one of the check valves gets stuck the pump will not work, and if one happens to stick closed your "feed-Through" pump becomes more of a "shut-off valve"

Guyfang

Staff member
I have posted this before. The TM's today, don't show you this breakdown. Its not rocket science. Worst thing that can happen is that your broken pump, is still broken, when you get through. But if you don't at least try.................................

Attachments

mvarnold

When I pulled the bottom cap off the first lift pump the ball check valve was stuck. It loosened when I touched it. I closed it up and ran the pump and still no fuel. Its looking like the line from the tank is clogged. I fed the tank output line to the second lift pump and still no flow. I pulled the tank cap and screen and the screen is very rusty and clogged and the metal cylinder is also rusty. The fuel looks cloudy and I suspect there might be a lot of crud in the bottom of the tank. I have had this genset for around 7 years and it always started and ran fine . I did replace the starter a few years ago but that is the only problem I have had until this issue. I am about to pull the tank and clean it but wonder if I should try to clear the line by blowing compressed air back thru the line to see if it clears. I have about 3/4 tank of fuel that need to be removed before I can inspect and clean the tank.

mvarnold

Thank you all for the recommendations. I am in the process of cleaning the tank and components. Any suggestions for this process will be greatly appreciated. Some questions are: best solvent?, is lacquer thinner appropriate?, can nuts and bolts or a chain be inserted into the tank and rotated to assist with removing rust and scale?, can a tank sealer be used such as Red Koat once the tank is cleaned?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you all for the recommendations. I am in the process of cleaning the tank and components. Any suggestions for this process will be greatly appreciated. Some questions are: best solvent?, is lacquer thinner appropriate?, can nuts and bolts or a chain be inserted into the tank and rotated to assist with removing rust and scale?, can a tank sealer be used such as Red Koat once the tank is cleaned?
I put crushed gravel in mine to get the bulk of the heavy stuff out. Very tired from shaking the tank! I then put vinegar in it and let it sit for a day or two, then repeated. The vinegar ate the stuff out pretty good but wasn't particularly fast. I finally got it cleaned out pretty good. The baffle in the tank requires small crushed gravel. My tank didn't leak after I finished, so I didn't line it. Nine years later, it is still clean and not leaking. There are also NOS tanks available for ~$500.00 complete with all attachments. If your tank is really bad you might want to consider a new one.