• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002 recovery (details + pics + scans)

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
The trip to Eglin went well. Some 240 miles each way with the family in a Ram 2500HD 4x4. I cannot stress enough how much better the trip went and I felt spending time the day before getting the truck ready.

New tires, new rear U joint, oil and filter change and A/C recharge (slow leak). I also made up a tool bag of things for both the truck and the generator should I need them. This included wrenches, spare u-joint, 8K tow strap, electric compressor, fix a flat, flashlight... the list goes on. It all fit under the rear seats. Packed a first aid kit (for me, not the truck). I am happy to report that I did not need any of it.

We got to Jacksonville the night before and I unloaded the trailer. The Hilton .5 miles from the GL site is great and cheap. Went and had good Thai food less than 2 miles away.

The next morning I arrived at the GL site at 8:15AM. I called on the way and made sure they had time to help me. The people at the Eglin GL site are outstanding. Have your paperwork and license ready. When you pull in past the green fence, keep going straight not right like I did at first. You want to check in at the "guard shack" and get a visitor pass. From there you will need to go into the building just past the guard shack with your GL paperwork. They called back to the forklift operator and gave me instructions on where to go to pick up the generator and the printers (two different sides of the facility).

I got back in my truck and drive through the truck scanner. The sign says to maintain 2-3MPH. They did not need to weigh my truck. I found the area were generators and other large items ok to sit outside reside. The forklift operator arrived moments later to help me. She only had a small chain to lift the generator so I offered a 8K tow strap which worked perfectly with the fork lift. I could not just fork it on since I used a lawn maintenance type trailer you can see in the pictures. People complain about GL breaking things... she had no issue getting the load leveled and spent extra time to make it just so. No sense in strapping down a 1000 lb generator yet, worked out well since I had to move the generator again (more on that later).

While I was at this portion of the facility a man showed up to pick up a nice mep006 with a F-350 and no trailer. I am surprised the leafs did not bend backwards.

Next I was off to the other side of the facility for two large printers. Now these were on pallets, 300lbs a piece. The forklift driver again impressed with pallet moving, pushing etc all without damaging items or trailer. The printers are in good shape, well except for a little damage on one from me not taping the lids down well (fixable). To get the printers on I had to ask to move the generator forward more.

I spent the next 20 minutes tying down. A guy and a semi came through and he said if I didn't want to be stuck there for hours to move soon. I asked for 15 minutes and the pleasant truck driver said matter of fact that I had as long as I needed as he can move the truck at any point.

Loaded up I proceed back from where I came in, back through the 2-3MPH scanners and to the guard shack. I turned in my badge and proceeded back to the hotel to get ready for the drive home.

The drive home was a bit longer than the drive there, having a bit more weight. We hit one snag, an accident just south of Jacksonville where I had pulled off to fuel up. An 18 wheeler got into a head on with an 80's full size van, a very unpleasant sight. This diverted us down some interesting roads where my load balancing and tie down ability was tested. All passed, and the next 240+- miles were uneventful aside from another fill up and a stop for food. I did see two CUCVs on the road, which reminded me to check my watch list on GL when I got home.

So in summary, it was a great trip. So good my wife agreed to come along next time (this summer). It was nice having the family along to see the sights. Oh and we stopped at a theme park on the way there :)

Next post; About the generator, questions...

Attachments

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Ok onto my new generator. I am very happy with my < 500.00 purchase. I am surprised that what I thought was bad rust is very marginal and easy to handle (Thank you aluminum). I will now forewarn you that the details below are chock full of ponderings and questions. Feel free to answer (or just genny voyeur).

Completeness: Not 100%, but nothing major is missing. I need a load terminal, an air cleaner cap and an oil drain hose. If you have these please feel free to speak up or PM me. Oh and of course it is sans batteries, but hey it has a dip stick! Why would they have a load terminal off the unit?

Things that could use replacing: One fuel line is a bit corroded, one gauge has moisture inside, and of course whats left of the paint could use replacing. I realize I can use any number of paints but I want to try to match the color and texture if possible. Anyone who wants to throw paint brands/methods of painting out there please by all means.

Maintenance: I have not even unloaded it and gotten to searching here for what all I need to do to ensure a happy start up. It came with all filters intact, and diesel drained. According to the paperwork the fuel was drained in October 2011. I looked inside, yep empty but smells good. I see a bit of oil on the lower end of the motor. Is this pretty typical of these? My standard approach would be to clean it real good with gas and an old paintbrush then look for leaks once running.

Ok on to some more questions.

Worth it to put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders before trying to turn over?

What type of connector/wire should I search for to eventually hook this into a transfer switch (manual for now)?

How much oil pressure am I looking for when running? *probably in the TM

Next: Paperwork that came with it and more questions.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Tucked into a packing slip holder on top was a collection of papers relating to the disposition of the generator. It looks to have all sorts of good details including the reason it was DRMOd, the unit that had the generator and more.

I scanned it and attached it below. Is it possible to look up what division of the military it belonged to based on the info on the paperwork?

Amazingly it has the part numbers I need also. It looks like they ordered the parts then decided to DRMO it anyhow.

They estimated $45.15 in manhours and overhead to repair and $28.20 in parts. Sounds good to me :) If anyone else can make out anything else interesting please let me know. Nearest I can tell it was in service or storage since October 2011.

*Note: Yes I realize I scanned one page twice, by the time I was done I decided not to re-scan them all.

Attachments

NJ_Toolnut

SandBar,

Congratulations on getting your generator and printers home intact! If your MEP002a was mine, I'd change all the filters and canister gaskets (and carefully clean the canisters) just to have the piece of mind from knowing where I started on preventative maintenance. Maintaining a clean injection system is absolutely critical. A fuel line that is a bit corroded may not be an issue, depending on how corroded it is and whether you are dealing with a high pressure line (as in between the IP and the injectors). Moisture in a guage may not be an issue since it may evaporate and the guage may function fine (depending on how long the moisture has been there) once you get the unit out of the weather. The frequency meter on my MEP003a did not work correctly until after tarp had been over my unit it for a couple of months. No moisture was obvious, but it started working fine (and matching the readings on my Kill-a-Watt meter) with no intervention from me after being stored under dry conditions. You should be able to pick up the load terminal and oil drain hose from other members here that deal in such items. I'd get filters and batteries first, get it running, and then deal with remaining issues as well as any new ones that occur as a result of observing it run.

Stan

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the successful loadout. When you say fuel line is corroded...which one, one of the rubber ones or a metal injector line? I am assuming an injector line. That will require a replacement be bought from an 002a or have a shop custom bend and make one for you. It needs to be the same length and roughly the same shape. Shape to fit onto the machine and length as to not affect timing too much.

The load terminal is an easy one...I have several lying around. Send me a PM. But, unless you plan on using it for 3 phase you really only need L1, L3 and L0. If L2 is the one missing you don't need it unless you want it.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thanks all. The corroded fuel line is the braided line that goes into the fuel/water separator. Seems like an easy replacement. I PM'd you with a list, if you want to quote this line too, by all means.

I am going to order all the filters, then once running convert to spin on oil filter.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on a successful pickup. I'm just a little confused though. Was this pickup at Jacksonville or Eglin AFB. Theres quite a bit of real estate between the two. Good deal on the genny as well.

rickf

Just curious why you needed the trailer? That is a lot of trailer to haul around just fore the genset. I just slid mine in the back.

Rick

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Sorry wrote Eglin, meant NAS, GL site is actually just a large lot with a fence at this address:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]8297 Roosevelt Blvd
Jacksonville, FL [/SIZE][/FONT]

Oh the trailer I used was borrowed. I also loaded two huge Konica printers and a free 68" smart TV unit on it :)

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks all. The corroded fuel line is the braided line that goes into the fuel/water separator. Seems like an easy replacement. I PM'd you with a list, if you want to quote this line too, by all means.

I am going to order all the filters, then once running convert to spin on oil filter.
If you were refering to me, I never got a PM.

However, the fuel line is a very easy part to get. It is nothing more than a braided hydraulic hose. Take the old one to your local NAPA or hydraulic shop and they can make you a new unbraided hose in just a few minutes. It has standard JIC fittings on it, I just can't remember if they are 1/4" JIC's or 5/16" JIC's. If you want the OEM braided hose, good luck finding someone who stocks it or will order you less than several hundred feet of it. I replaced a few already and the regular hyd hoses work just fine.

storeman

ARNG = Army National Guard. FLNG = Florida National Guard. The folks who keep you free and dig your tail out of disasters between deployments. Look at the video link I posted of the previous owners of your generator.:beer:

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thanks again. Wonder if it saw any running time in a sandy environment. Will have to see how the oil pressure is :)

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Update: Well it seems there is 1/4 tank of fuel in this drained unit :) I will still flush it and clean it just in case.

I was looking around the fuel filter area and just to the left of the fuel filters is another pair of small cylinders. Well one of them is disconnected and I have no idea what this 10" hose connects to. Does anyone have a close up or nice diagram of that area of the MEP? Maybe this is what the paperwork was referring to about a serviceable corroded line.

Edit:

I shopped around a bit for fuel and oil filters. I then decided I may as well change to spin ons and bought all the parts for the conversion. It is surprisingly cheaper than I thought. My last purchase item is a 12" by 6" piece of 1/4" T6 aluminum to mount the fuel filters to. Found it for 18.00 locally at a metal shop.

Last edited:

No gun Luke

I,m no gun Luke. I just recently purchase what I think is mep002 motor runs good with with hot batteries but generation of power is hit or miss. The hz meter work once at 65 then back to 56-56 next time. The Volt adj work once at about 110- 125 appox. The percent gauge around 25-30 . I,m not the best electrician . Does anyone have suggestions what may be going on.

derf

I had a pleasant recovery at Eglin. There are many more security hoops to jump through there than at Ft. Polk and Camp Shelby. The nice forklift operator put an MEP-003A w/ASK in the back of my Tacoma Prerunner. I also had a 30D36R on top of the over the rail toolbox in the bed. It was quite a load but the little truck did fine.
If you go to Eglin make sure you talk to the GL guy and he has to contact the guard shack and arrange a pass for you to go on the base. There was a lot of traffic at the gate when I went.
All the GL people on the bases I've been to were friendly and helpful. The lady at Ft. Polk is as good as any guy with her forklift.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks