• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002a ASK

mtfleming

How much does the ASK reduce the noise level? Are there any mep002a's in eastern TN with the ASK that I could listen to? How much difference would just a muffler make?
Thanks

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The muffler makes virtually zero. The ASK will reduce it a reasonable amount. If I were to guess I would say around 6db.

My 003 had the ASK and it was VERY noticeable when you removed any of the access panels with it running.

Guyfang

Staff member
I looked in the -12 and -34 TM's, and found nothing that tells me how load the gen set is before and after installation of the ASK. But I do remember reading it someplace. I will continue to look. But will second the motion, there is a WORLD of difference between sets with and without a ASK. It's just a PITA to work on a ASK set. And you don't see leaks until they look like a biblical flood, due to the kit hiding them. Maybe if we had had kits in the 70'-80's, I would not need two hearing aids.

Back again.

According to the Department of Defence Handbook MIL-HBDK-633A, Dated 26 Jan, 2010, the MEP-002A without ASK produces Noise 79 dBA @ 25 feet.

Back again. You didnt ask for this, but here it is anyway.

[FONT=&quot]Dimensions and weights:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Without ASK:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Overall length 51 in. (129.5 cm.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Overall width 32 in. (81.3 cm)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Overall height 37 in. (94 cm.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Net weight empty 960 lbs. (435.5 kg.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Net weight filled 1040 lbs. (471.7 kg.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With ASK installed:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Overall length 58 in. (147.4 cm.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Overall width 36 in. (91.3 cm)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Overall height 39 in. (99 cm.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Net weight empty 1084 lbs. (492.2 kg.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Net weight filled 1164 lbs. (528.5 kg.)[/FONT]

Last edited:

storeman

Having installed my 803A's, I now have an 002A with ASK for sale and an 003A without ASK for sale. Both have Peter's remote auto start installed. The ASK unit is noticeably quieter than the other 002s I've had in the past.

It is not the exhaust that is noisy, its the mechanical noise of an air-cooled engine. Can't be escaped IMO.

I need to list them on the site. Just haven't gotten round to it yet.

Jerry

Last edited:

jamawieb

Don't even try a muffler, its a waste of time. I have the ASK on my personal 002a and I updated the soundproofing inside with dynamat for car audio systems. It made a noticeable difference. If you want quiet, go with a 802a. They are a lot quieter than the 002a.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

To the OP, just to clarify...You are aware that there is already a stainless steel muffler within the housing/shroud on top of engine where the exhaust comes out? Personally, I would not want to add an additional/auxiliary muffler inline with existing muffler for fear of potentially restricting the exhaust too much under full load. Another concern is that if 2nd muffler is not attached/braced properly with the added weight hanging out there on a machine known for significant vibration...it could potentially cause cracks in existing muffler or worse. I have see several advertised (-002's & 003's) with added mufflers but never have heard that it makes much of a difference. Like the man says it a case of air cooled diesel noise.

Rather than enclosing it with an ask kit have you considered building an enclosure to house it in? There are some threads if you search here that discuss building a genset enclosure. If I had a noise concern (neighbors or whatever) I would consider a DIY enclosure where it can be easily removed (lift off panels or hinged dog house affair) for servicing or make it big enough to walk in (similar to a sound deadened Tough Shed). Of course you have to design it so it has proper cooling/venting.

dependable

To clarify, the muffler pictured in my post above does not put significant restriction on unit. It is designed for a much larger motor. In fact, I tested, and there is no RPM difference under load with or without auxiliary muffler at set frequency.. This muffler is from a 6.2 CUCV, so it runs 3.1 liter worth of motor, over 2 in ID. Any similar muffler should work.

The point about the bracket is a good one. The picture I posted is from a testing phase. I did fabricate supports for the muffler, real easy, out of 1 in angle iron.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

...In fact, I tested, and there is no RPM difference under load with or without auxiliary muffler at set frequency...
However, there would not be any RPM difference at set frequency regardless if using an auxiliary add on muffler or not. With a direct coupled generator head it is governed, at all loads, to supply as much fuel as necessary to maintain 1800 RPM in order to make 60 Hz. So the question would be...does any increase in backpressure potentially increase fuel consumption or impact heat dissipation?

To me, any minor db reduction gain achieved by adding on an aux muffler would seem questionable due to introducing potential risks. Though from the sounds of it (pun) your aux muffler is big enough to not be all that restrictive and well attached so if it achieves your objective that's what counts.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
What would be the consequences of removing the army muffler, and simply replacing it with a larger muffler of some type?

I agree, its mainly engine noise. The darn thing could be used to mix martinis.

dependable

To me, any minor db reduction gain achieved by adding on an aux muffler would seem questionable due to introducing potential risks. Though from the sounds of it (pun) your aux muffler is big enough to not be all that restrictive and well attached so if it achieves your objective that's what counts.
If it was a minor reduction, the effort would not be worth it. This unit is as quiet as my 802.

Also agree extra muffler not worth it without the ASK, as the engine noise big factor. I did external muffler tests on 002s with and without ASK, back when I was buying these things at auction. The over all noise from motor/fan is about the same as what comes out of the stock muffler. It was interesting to me that it is the exhaust noise that tends to carry further, so at 100 ft away from set, the extra muffler without the ASK did have noticeable effect, but seemed to make little difference when close to unit.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would be the consequences of removing the army muffler, and simply replacing it with a larger muffler of some type?

I agree, its mainly engine noise. The darn thing could be used to mix martinis.
I would recommend replacing the stock muffler and not adding to it. You want to keep as much heat energy and velocity in the exhaust as possible to discourage soot, oil, unburned fuel, and moisture from coming together and creating a mess in the muffler.

For the same reasons its not advisable to use large exhaust pipes on these machines. You slow and cool the exhaust stream which causes problems.

If you want to make it quieter you should find a muffler that does the job you want and mount it in place of the stock one. Keep the run between the muffler and engine short and do not go with big pipes. That will be a better recipe for longevity.

BigOL3

I can not help but laugh.

When I first got the MEP 003 and fired it up on the back patio, my wife went to fussing about it being so loud. My reply was ....... when the time comes we really need it, you won't mind the noise. Needless to say, that answer did not please her. We only used it for a few short periods of time during the next few years. Then ....... along came Katrina! We did not have normal
electricity for over 2 weeks and the heat was unbearable, even much more humid than normal for Sept in La. Well guess what??? She did NOT bitch or gripe the first time about the noise because we were one of the very few folks around that had total electricity in our home. It ran EVERYTHING, 4 and 2.5 ton A/C, water well, 3 frig, 2 freezer, coffee maker, all lights and TV. My 3 brothers and families spent most of those nights at our house, so as to sleep comfortable under the A/C.

Moral of the story and reason for my laughing ......... anyone worried about the noise, just ain't hot enough ..... LOL

Last edited:

Ray70

Exactly! When the time comes you will prefer the noise over not having electricity!
I would tend to agree with the enclosure thought.
I have had 002's and 003's with the ASK enclosure and it does make a big difference, but it pretty much blocks access to everything.
Building a small enclosure will keep it out of the weather, reduce the audible sound, but not hinder access to vital components for service / repair.
Just point the openings towards the neighbors.... if they complain, offer to run and extension cord to their house to keep them quiet as well! rofl

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly! When the time comes you will prefer the noise over not having electricity!
I would tend to agree with the enclosure thought.
I have had 002's and 003's with the ASK enclosure and it does make a big difference, but it pretty much blocks access to everything.
Building a small enclosure will keep it out of the weather, reduce the audible sound, but not hinder access to vital components for service / repair.
Just point the openings towards the neighbors.... if they complain, offer to run and extension cord to their house to keep them quiet as well! rofl
Depending on the neighbor, buy more wire to move it to the property edge...

Guyfang

Staff member
Just before I got out of the Army, we had a COMX. A Communication Exercise. All kids of units and sub units of the 32nd AADCOM, a division sized unit, had to gather in a large field, and act like they were all countless miles from one another, and conduct a "War Game". But nothing moved, just the War Game was played over the radios. Saves money. So about the second day of the exercise, a gen set dropped off line. The idiot light told me over load. And low and behold, there were at least 10-15 cables, and junction boxes hooked up, EXTRA to the set. I unplugged that extra crap, and went back to my lair. I had hardly poured a cup of java, and heard people screaming about no power. Different gen set, same problem. I unplugged the extra crap and informed folks to not hook it up again. I had hardly turned around, and the first set kicked off again. So, Chief went to his tool box, and got his side cutters. I walked around and cut plug ends off, wherever I found "extra" cables. Fixed the problem for one day. Then had to go around again. AND into the tents and shelters. TV's, java pots, video games, electric blanket, hair dryers, crock pots, tea pots, you name it, and stuff you would never think someone would take along to the field. People from my unit got one warning, from different units, (stealing MY power!) got no warning. I simply cut the plugs off. Then some fool Captain got mad because I cut his TV plug off. He screamed and yelled. Ordered me to the position. Demanded I pay for his TV. And a bunch of other crap. I then told him, "No problem. But first, you and I have to go see LT. Genneral Puttman. So you can explain why his Headquarters could not come up on the net, because you were watching TV." Needless to say, that was that. That's the problem with sharing. Give an inch, they take a mile.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks