• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep002a batt guage issue

sjacobs1259

Ray70

I believe your voltage regulator is bad.
The gage is simply a volt meter, not an ammeter and you are up over 34VDC, which is going to wreck your batteries eventually.
You should probably retest the stator first, I think something was wrong with your measurement technique, I don't think you can have 16VAC off the stator and get 34VDC at the batteries.
Keep in mind your stator is AC and the output of the regulator is DC.
If I recall correctly you should have more like 30+VAC on the 2 wires coming from the stator and the regulator should be converting it to around 27-28 VDC.

sjacobs1259

Ok so I belive the regulator is bad, so went went ahead and replaced it with another one i found at at work and I guess that one is bad too. Cause its still rising to 34 volts dc. I was testing the stator wrong and now I am getting 31 volts ac so I'm good there. The only thing left is to spend bookoo bucks on a new one and hope it works.

sjacobs1259

I believe your voltage regulator is bad.
The gage is simply a volt meter, not an ammeter and you are up over 34VDC, which is going to wreck your batteries eventually.
You should probably retest the stator first, I think something was wrong with your measurement technique, I don't think you can have 16VAC off the stator and get 34VDC at the batteries.
Keep in mind your stator is AC and the output of the regulator is DC.
If I recall correctly you should have more like 30+VAC on the 2 wires coming from the stator and the regulator should be converting it to around 27-28 VDC.
Yea I understand the volt guage. When I mentioned the ammeter I was talking abt the percent load meter.

Ray70

Before you go ahead and replace the DC VR with a new one, assuming this set never worked correctly for you, Perhaps you should make 100% sure the wires from the stator , VR and the filter are all connected to the correct screws on the terminal block.
Having 2 VR's in a row that product TOO MUCH output seems pretty unlikely to me. Every bad VR I have ever seen failed for low / no DC output.
I never had 1 too high, let alone 2 in a row!

sjacobs1259

Before you go ahead and replace the DC VR with a new one, assuming this set never worked correctly for you, Perhaps you should make 100% sure the wires from the stator , VR and the filter are all connected to the correct screws on the terminal block.
Having 2 VR's in a row that product TOO MUCH output seems pretty unlikely to me. Every bad VR I have ever seen failed for low / no DC output.
I never had 1 too high, let alone 2 in a row!
At one point is was working fine. As far as charinging went. This just started recently. Now the regulator I replaced my old one with came off another unit we have in the motor pool that we dont use. So I knew it was a 50/50 chance If it worked or not. I went through all the wires yesterday made sure everything was hooked up right. I took the blower wheel off and cleaned the stator and the surrounding area, there was alot of grim. The stator was reading 31V AC and the VR was reading the same as the Batts DC. This is probrobly irrelevant but I'll throw it out there. Since this issue started. When ever I start the unit the voltage slowly climbs from 26v to 29v in about a minute or 2, once it hits 29 it climbs rapidly 29 to 34 I'm maybe 20 to 30 seconds. I thought it was odd. But it could jus be me.