• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002A Fuel solenoid intermittent

hurst01

I just obtained a MEP002A 5KW Generator. I went through it and checked everything. Finally got it running, but occasionally the fuel solenoid does not open when trying to start. It is about a 50/50 chance that it will open when I hit the starter switch.
Can anyone recommend what I might check?

Thanks, Ed

jbk

i have had two that had similar problems fuel solenoid rod was sticking because the governor arm had a bow in it (bent) look at the angle.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It might just be the fuel shut-off rod in the IP is gunked up and sticking. That's not an uncommon occurrence. I'm not even going to try to tell you how to go about fixing it.....it's too early in the morning for me and my memory isn't working just yet....however there have been a few threads where this exact thing happened and I believe the poster described their remidy. Try searching, but if you have no luck I'll look for the threads I'm refering to later in the day and post something up...unless someone else chimes in with an answer for you.

Earth

I recently had trouble with the solenoid linkage (rod) on one of my 5kws. Its design asks for trouble because it is angled through stuff. After I 'fixed' it, I couldn't tell you what I did exactly. I just fiddled with it.

hurst01

I have another one that I need to remove the IP so that I can go though it. It is sluggish, started shaking the trailer really bad and puffing smoke out the exhaust. The plunger was stuck and I freed it up enough to start initially. I have a feeling that the stroke of the plunger is being hindered by gum. I am going to remove the IP and clean it, put new seals and "O" rings and try it again. I guess I will do this one also. It can't hurt.

Ed

OD_Coyote

Please post what you end up doing to resolve the issue. My MEP002A does this on rare ocassion as well, but if I lift fuel solenoid rod by hand and then try to start it works fine.