• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep002a injector pump?

rossbart

Just some follow up and thanks to all who posted and helped. Got the plunger guide and delivery valve spacer from AMBAC (cost = $15.80 plus shipping) and reassembled IP this morning. Got back on genny and it fired right up. Sounds great and makes electricity. Yeah!!!

Ray70

I'm working on an -003A I just picked up and I'm having the same "no fuel output" issue with the IP. I pulled the delivery valve out last night and cleaned it but I've got 2 questions for the IP Guru's... The Ambac service manual indicates that the delivery valve is an assembled part, but on mine the needle assembly is just sitting in the valve housing, is it supposed to be held in somehow other than just the spring pushing it in? The other question, which I'll probably figure out as soon as I look at it again is: is the plastic spacer readily apparent once you remove the delivery valve? I took a look in the housing but didn't notice anything in there, but there was some debris that I cleaned out that I couldn't tell if it was severely deteriorated plastic or just baked on fuel varnish. it was around the diameter of the valve on the side that is inboard. The delivery valve was stuck in the housing by this "stuff". Can anyone tell me if the spacer is a relatively thick part or is it thin enough that what I thought was dried varnish was actually the remains of the spacer??

jamawieb

Yes, the needle is held in place with the spring.
It sounds like the spacer has broken down and will need replacing. When it breaks down, it turns a dark brown and breaks into chunks. It is usually stuck to the valve holder and takes some work to get it off.

storeman

Jama is correct. As I recall, the spacer is not necessarily needed. I know several I've seen did not have a spacer. Expensive little dude unless you fabricate one.
Jerry

Ray70

Yup, it looked like a thin layer of dark brown crud stuck to the delivery valve. Last night I pulled the pump and tore it down. The control shaft and plunger were pretty stiff as well as the metering sleeve block... Not to mention the busted Dogbone (plunger guide). So I just made a list of parts and o-rings an am about to call Ambac...

dangier

I know that people on the site have said their 002's and/or 003's will not run without that expensive little delivery valve spacer in the IP. All four of my MEP's (2-002's and 2-003's), run very well without the spacer. I have thrown each one away as either crushed or broken. Delivery valve is tightened to TM spec (70-75 ft. lb.)-then a little tweak to insure sealing.
Just my .02 (FWIW).

Ray70

Rusty, I called 1-800-628-6894. The plunger guide was still $15 plus shipping. I also bought a kit# KT85166 for $54, not sure exactly what it comes with but it should at least have all the seals and stuff. Because of the holiday I probably won't get the parts until Thursday or Friday.

Ray70

Great, thanks LuckyDog. Now I'm glad I chose not to buy the delivery valve spacer (for $30 more) since there's one included in the kit! Although my plan was to go without it based on everyone's replies, but since its in the kit I guess it will be going back in!
Hopefully by this weekend it will be back together again.

rustystud

Rusty, I called 1-800-628-6894. The plunger guide was still $15 plus shipping. I also bought a kit# KT85166 for $54, not sure exactly what it comes with but it should at least have all the seals and stuff. Because of the holiday I probably won't get the parts until Thursday or Friday.
Thanks Ray ! Now maybe I can finally get that second MEP-002A up and running again.

Keith_J

I know that people on the site have said their 002's and/or 003's will not run without that expensive little delivery valve spacer in the IP. All four of my MEP's (2-002's and 2-003's), run very well without the spacer. I have thrown each one away as either crushed or broken. Delivery valve is tightened to TM spec (70-75 ft. lb.)-then a little tweak to insure sealing.
Just my .02 (FWIW).
Interesting. I was under the impression it seals the delivery valve to the plunger housing. But if the d valve is lapped to the head, it should seal.

could it be your spacer is stuck in the head?

Ray70

Update... The Ambac order came in Friday and I assembled the pump Sat. ( it was very easy to reassemble and install back in the machine) got it bled out and the machine fired up and makes good power. Got a few little things to fix but all in all it is up and running well! So, for anyone out there thinking about rebuilding their pump, Go for it! it really is very simple and you can get rebuild directions off Ambac's web site if needed.
I found a trick to getting the "jeezes" clips back in place too. I put a small brass punch in my vise at a height where it would hold the plunger in the full "up" position with the pump sitting with all 4 injector line fittings resting on the top of the vise.
Then place the 2 clips in position around the plunger shaft, sitting on the spring seat. Then take a socket about the size of the spring seat and push straight down on the spring seat and then release. It might take a try or 2 but the jeeses clips should fall down when you press down and get caught in the groove as you release pressure from the spring seat. Worked the first time for me!
Did a little load test last night and it easily powered my 7.5 HP air compressor, all the shop lights and the exhaust fan, however the load meter isn't working so I don't know where it was at, but it handled the load with no frequency droop at all.

rustystud

Update... The Ambac order came in Friday and I assembled the pump Sat. ( it was very easy to reassemble and install back in the machine) got it bled out and the machine fired up and makes good power. Got a few little things to fix but all in all it is up and running well! So, for anyone out there thinking about rebuilding their pump, Go for it! it really is very simple and you can get rebuild directions off Ambac's web site if needed.
I found a trick to getting the "jeezes" clips back in place too. I put a small brass punch in my vise at a height where it would hold the plunger in the full "up" position with the pump sitting with all 4 injector line fittings resting on the top of the vise.
Then place the 2 clips in position around the plunger shaft, sitting on the spring seat. Then take a socket about the size of the spring seat and push straight down on the spring seat and then release. It might take a try or 2 but the jeeses clips should fall down when you press down and get caught in the groove as you release pressure from the spring seat. Worked the first time for me!
Did a little load test last night and it easily powered my 7.5 HP air compressor, all the shop lights and the exhaust fan, however the load meter isn't working so I don't know where it was at, but it handled the load with no frequency droop at all.
Good job Ray. Where did you get the rebuild instructions for the injection pump ?

Ray70

Yup, that's the one I used. There is also another document on their website that breaks the pump down with PN's for each piece too. I have it save on another computer at work or you can dig around on their website. I think you have to look under Military and model 50?? kind of hidden but its there. If needed I can send you a copy next time I'm at work (had to take some time off for a couple days due to a family member illness).

Keith_J

This is the thread I need..working on a 003 that is driving me nuts..flow timing shows timing off but PC mark and face gear alignment spot on. The IP has a history of breaking the drive key so I'm thinking it has damaged the drive key instead of breaking it. This would upset the distribution. Symptoms were hot operation and hard starting.

I have found the best product for cleaning IP and injectors, Diesel Mechanic in a Bottle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks