• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002a IP problem

armyrino

Ok so I don't admit defeat easily but I need some help with my mep002a. So I have this mep002a I picked up a few months back. She is very clean and with only 200hrs. So I fully serviced everything. Filters, fluids batteries. She would run and then shut down. Upon checking out the injection pump I found the retainer clip for the plunger was broken, and plunger was seized. I was able to purchase a mew pump. I had it fully serviced and tested by injection shop before installing. So in looking at installation procedure of pump. I made sure that the same shim for pump to block mount was used. I know this only changes if block is changed. The button is the same as original pump. I placed #1 on compression stroke and lined up the flywheel to PC mark as instructed by procedure and ambac instructions.

This is were I am stuck. I cannot get the pump to function properly it wont pump fuel from the #1 and #3 ports while cranking. I have even tried turning by hand to time it with watching for fuel to come out of injector port. I have worked on many many different diesel engines and timed all kinds of injection pimps but this type is a first and kicking my butt. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. I know it has to ne a timing issue that I am not completing properly. I even had the pump re-checked just to make sure it wasn't the pump. Thanks in advance I know we can get her up and going.

jamawieb

The button usually has to be changed when a new pump is installed. There is a install manual for flow correction in the manuals. Google MEP-002a injector pump flow rate. GMG has the install manual for a new button.

RIrvin

Had somewhat similar problem w/ MEP-003A when pump was reworked by commercial shop. The old O ring had stuck to the block so rebuilt pump with new O ring was out of tolerance. Might want to double check.

Chainbreaker

I would also check to make sure fuel is passing freely through the check valve in the fuel line before the injection pump.

Chainbreaker

Also, is the stop solenoid lifting when you crank? Sometimes they can bind/rub against nearby sheet metal or is in need lubing or tweaking a bit, it doesn't take much to cause it to bind and not lift when starting. Try having a helper lift it up a bit by hand or shimming it up and then try starting just to eliminate that as a possibility as well.

Guyfang

Staff member
The button is not that important. That is not your problem. Are you sure it's not pumping out of 1&3? Normally this is an easy fix. The only problem I ever had, and I had it at least 30% of the time, was corrected but timing the engine again, pulling the IP out, rotating it 180 degrees and reinstalling it.

Did you unhook the injector lines at the IP or at the injectors to observe the output of the IP?

I can can only say, if the timing is right, ( and I got it wrong at least 30% of the time, first try) then your IP has a problem.

And your sure the injector lines are clear?

armyrino

I have tried holding the shut down lever in the off position so it would pump that made no difference. I took the lines off at the injection pump and that's where I'm am observing no fuel. I guess what I want to make sure is that I'm doing the timing procedure properly which is just like any other engine. On the injection pump I'm placing a small rod in the gear that rotates for injection timing to hold it in time number one position from the side with a little screw is with the brass washer. I'm done setting the generator with number one top dead center the Mark should be lined up with PC on the flywheel. Is this the correct way to time these engines? I also see that there's an A and Abby on the flywheel. I'm guessing this is to indicate before or after top dead center.

Guyfang

Staff member
Have you read the TM's for this procedure? Or are you using another document? Your description in message #8 sounds right to me. Haven't read that passage in a good number of years. But it sounds right to me. Every time this happened to me I was 180 out on my timing, like I explained in message #7.

armyrino

Well great news! Shes up and running. So after going over everything again. I decided to check the pump out again. Upon removing the plunger cap i discovered that the button was missing. I had not checked it since i got it back from the injection shop. So i installed the one from the original pump and she fired right up and runs great. Thanks to everyone for your input. It always nice to have outside input. Sometimes its good to walk away from a project and come back to it clear headed. I love bringing these old machines back to life. I knew it had to be something simple. Thanks again everyone. On to the next project.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks