• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002A low voltage on one leg.

Stephen9130

Hello all. I have an mep002a that is wired for 120/240 single phase. I have 110v on L1 and 108v on L3. The hertz meter is sitting on the low side of the meter and doesn’t change even when voltage is adjusted. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Triple Jim

110v and 108v are not very different... less than 2%. I would not consider that to be a problem. Frequency (Hz) will not change with a voltage adjustment. To change frequency you need to adjust the engine speed. If you can't raise the engine speed with the big black knob, then something is mechanically wrong. If you can, but the meter is not moving off its lower stop, then the frequency meter may be bad, or have a bad transducer.

Do you have the manuals? They're available on this site.

Welcome to the board, Stephen!

Stephen9130

110v and 108v are not very different... less than 2%. I would not consider that to be a problem. Frequency (Hz) will not change with a voltage adjustment. To change frequency you need to adjust the engine speed. If you can't raise the engine speed with the big black knob, then something is mechanically wrong. If you can, but the meter is not moving off its lower stop, then the frequency meter may be bad, or have a bad transducer.

Do you have the manuals? They're available on this site.

Welcome to the board, Stephen!
I’m looking for the manual. I can adjust the speed which try again. Some stuff didn’t work properly due to the voltage difference, the 240v stuff. In the house I was getting 98 to 99 volts. That can screw up some equipment. So I turn it off.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I concur with Triple Jim. .. As for the low voltage it was putting into the house, that will depend on wire size and distance of it from genny .. Without other end connected at house you might want to turn volt knob till your meter shows 125V on phase-neutral side of the phase readout selector and check your phase-neutral voltages at the house end , and also set it for 250V on the phase-phase readout selector and check phase-phase for that on house end as well.. If you are good at house or at least within 5% , I would question what is trying to be started or is running in the house to cause that much drop

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Here is the link to the TM's for the MEP-002A. I would suggest reading up in the -12 TM first. It cover operation and set up.

Where are you taking the voltage measurements from? The meter on the control panel? Or from the load terminals?

Stephen9130

Here is the link to the TM's for the MEP-002A. I would suggest reading up in the -12 TM first. It cover operation and set up.

Where are you taking the voltage measurements from? The meter on the control panel? Or from the load terminals?

Voltage readings are directly from terminals using a Fluke voltage meter. I’ll go through the manual again when I find it.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What gauge wire are you using between the generator and the load, and what is the length of that wire? To properly load the wire you should probably be running #8 for a distance of less than 100 feet and #6 if the distance is up to 200 feet. Personally, I used #6 to run 40 feet from my panel to where the 240 volt welder is plugged in. YMMV.

Stephen9130

What gauge wire are you using between the generator and the load, and what is the length of that wire? To properly load the wire you should probably be running #8 for a distance of less than 100 feet and #6 if the distance is up to 200 feet. Personally, I used #6 to run 40 feet from my panel to where the 240 volt welder is plugged in. YMMV.
6 wire, 80’.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With #6 wire and only 80 feet you shouldn't have much loss in the cable. I suspect you have some heavy loads trying to engage at the same time in the house. I would cut off all breakers in the house and then switch each breaker on consecutively one at a time and measure the voltage in the breaker box each time until you find the high load(s).

Stephen9130

With #6 wire and only 80 feet you shouldn't have much loss in the cable. I suspect you have some heavy loads trying to engage at the same time in the house. I would cut off all breakers in the house and then switch each breaker on consecutively one at a time and measure the voltage in the breaker box each time until you find the high load(s).
First off, I want to thank everyones input, it always helps to talk a problem out. I did find out a couple things were running I wasn’t aware of. Offspring . So I will re-try next week. Thanks again to all.