• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002a Oil filter leaking

Tomh

This is just a heads up to those who are buying surplus generators. I have an MEP002A that I bought thru GSA. It was being used by a forestry outfit. There was quite a bit of oil around the filter area when I picked it up. Well I naturely changed the oil and filter. Removed the old gasket. Bought NAPA 5108 Gasket and had a devil of a time getting the new gasket in the recess, but finally did it. Put the filter canister on, filled it with oil and started the engine. There has been a slight leak from the gasket area again. Today I took the filter off and the new gasket just fell out of the recess. I spent some time poking around there and discovered that there was a SECOND GASKET all scrunched down in the recess. Someone had in the past installed a second gasket and it totally compressed the under lying gasket and the seal wasn't complete. With the old compressed gasket removed it was a snap to install the new gasket and presto chango ...... no leak.

Keith_J

Since the filter gaskets on these use what is called a fully confined joint, I have been using Viton o-rings instead of the square profile types. They are easier to install correctly and don't suffer from twisting. I just measured the diameter off the housings and picked the right size/profile.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In all of the filter kits I've sold, I've never had a report of one leaking. Putting the new square profile ring in is easy as pie, and once the adapter cup is in place nothing moves again. I've had my personal adapters in place for almost 4 years now with zero issues.

rustystud

In all of the filter kits I've sold, I've never had a report of one leaking. Putting the new square profile ring in is easy as pie, and once the adapter cup is in place nothing moves again. I've had my personal adapters in place for almost 4 years now with zero issues.
Since I retrofitted 2 of my generators to your spin-on filter kit I have not lost a drop of oil ! To anyone out there who is thinking of going to a spin-on filter I would definitely go with "Speddmon's" kit !

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two gaskets is a common problem with almost any oil filter setup. (Almost)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having a different leak issue. Oil seepage around the filter housing bolt. Seems to be tight and I'm concerned with "over-tightening" it and causing even more leakage.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
New gasket?

steelypip

I'm having a different leak issue. Oil seepage around the filter housing bolt. Seems to be tight and I'm concerned with "over-tightening" it and causing even more leakage.
Usually this is caused by a burr on either the surface of the housing where the washer goes or the surface of the bolt where the washer goes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks