• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002a panel lights out

Hectorsosa

Long time no talk to everybody - my MEP002a fired up just fine a couple months ago, but between then and now I lost a cell in one of my batteries. In the process of cranking it trying to figure out what was wrong my panel lights went out and won't come back on. Yes I could read the manual.... but is there a fuse or breaker for the panel lights somewhere? Thinking I'll tear in to it tomorrow or saturday when we get power back. Large transformer blew, so it sounds like we're gonna be minimum 12 hours.

Chainbreaker

So everything else is operating properly except the panel lights are not illuminated?

If so, it just could be your panel light switch. With genset off and batteries still connected, open up the Control Box Panel and test the switch by jumpering across the back of the panel light switch (S2) and they should illuminate. If that doesn't work, verify that bulbs are good.

Hectorsosa

I guess I don't know if EVERYTHING is working correctly.... It's generating the power I'm using to type this reply so the AC side is good, and at least one of the fuel pumps has to be working... I'll try jumping the switch when I get mains power back. The fact that both bulbs went out at the same time has me thinking it's not the bulbs, but I guess strange things happen

Ray70

If you have 24V from the switch, then look for 24V at the bulb sockets.
Also check for ground at your bulb holders.
If you have power to the sockets and the bulbs are good there is only one other possibility.... no ground.
The only fuse ( circuit breaker ) on the DC control side has to be good, otherwise the entire control panel and fuel pumps would all be off, not just the lights.

Hectorsosa

Now that I've had a chance to look everything over... I had a bad cell on one of my batteries. Whe I was trying to start the genset I wasn't getting full voltage. Two new batteries and here's where I'm at...

Both bulbs are blown. I had one spare bulb - put it in and I've got light. Next problem - when I move the switch to run I don't hear lift pumps doing their thing. I've been outside all day so it was time to call it quits. I haven't checked for voltage yet... hoping it's a no voltage situation and not a burned up fuel pump. Is there a fuse or breaker on the pump circuits?

Ray70

See reply #5, the only breaker on the entire DC side is on the front panel and kills EVERYTHING.
So if your panel lights work, the breaker has not popped.
Check for 24V at the cannon plug for the pumps.
Do you hear any of the pumps in either aux. fuel or prime/run position?
You have 3 pumps in there, so it's odd that none of them work.
This may be a silly question, but are you sure the batteries are hooked up correctly and you didn't reverse polarity by accident?

Hectorsosa

I've got +24 volts at the cannon plug. Question - terminal 14 on the master switch (S1) - should that read plus or minus 24 volts when referenced to ground?

Chainbreaker

This color coded schematic should help. Its for a -003a but all the basic functions are the same for -002a. Look at pg 1 (figure 1-1) and look at S1 at top left next to the S1 bolded outlined box.

Also, make sure your control box cabinet ground strap at outside left rear bottom is solid & grounded.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hectorsosa

Found it. Bad ground.

I never would have expected a bad ground, as the starter still worked. Bolts that hold the fuel pumps on as well as the bolts that hold the bracket in place were all loose. I remember the guy I bought it from saying he had the fuel pumps out - never thought to check fasteners. Now that it's all tight (and I cut off the rf filters - had one bad one) the pumps work better than they ever did and the unit fires with almost no effort. Before I had to crank for a bit to get it to start. I'm guessing my hesitation around 80% load will also be gone, but I've got a few more grounds to clean up before I get too ambitious.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks