• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002A Priming

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bypass that filter housing, and move on.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bypassed everything and tried starting it this morning. Got white smoke while it was cranking and the couple of times it tried catching it belched a few clouds of black smoke. Oil pressure stayed steady once it came up but could never get it to catch fully.

TexAndy

If you just need the bolts, we can make them on my lathe, no problem.

Shoot, if it's something enough people needed, might could even invest in a tap to do the interior threads. Then it might be as simple as buying hardware store bolts, center drilling on the lathe, then running the tap down it.

eta: Ah, didn't see the update. For some reason the link you sent me only showed 1 page.

eta: I second the "save the broken bits" motion. It can probably be fixed.

Last edited:

TexAndy

I have a notion. Take a picture of the canister part with the remains of the bolt in it.

I'm thinking we machine a piece of wood cylinder to fit into the housing to keep from crushing it, then chuck it up on the lathe and machine out the remains of the bolt that is inside the canister. If possible, turn it effectively back into a stock type filter setup.

Need more pics.

Another Ahab

If you just need the bolts, we can make them on my lathe, no problem.
It can probably be fixed.
I have a notion. Take a picture of the canister part with the remains of the bolt in it.

I'm thinking we machine a piece of wood cylinder to fit into the housing to keep from crushing it, then chuck it up on the lathe and machine out the remains of the bolt that is inside the canister.
TexAndy, you sound like you know your way around a Machine Shop, and must be one mean man with a metal lathe.

high-noon.jpg

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay she finally started! That's when I found all of the leaks :(

Not sure if I didn't get the oil filter o-ring set when I swapped the filter or what but I lost about a quart and a half just running it for a few minutes. The wife is not going to be happy when she sees the driveway. Also the line from the T (where it would typically be coming from the filters but now is coming straight from the pump) to the IP has a dozen pin holes in it and showered everything with a nice mist of diesel. Of course we're getting rain today so I have nice chocolate/vanilla milkshake going on the trailer and driveway. But at least it runs and was putting out juice to the accessory plugs. Once the weather clears up a bit I'll try and clean everything back up and get the leaks figured out.

At this point I'm probably just going to get an aftermarket spin-on fuel filter and route everything through that and pray that the oil leak is the o-ring.

Keith_J

Oh come on now, that 4k psi pressure washer at 4 gpm will take care of the mess easily. It runs, the little stuff is just whack a mole. Methinks you need a change in latitude or attitude. Get on to margritaville time ;).

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh come on now, that 4k psi pressure washer at 4 gpm will take care of the mess easily. It runs, the little stuff is just whack a mole. Methinks you need a change in latitude or attitude. Get on to margritaville time ;).
I'll just drink the beer you left in the shop fridge. You didn't want that, did you?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to our regualarly scheduled program...

I added a new spin-on fuel filter. Pretty easy other than all the drilling I had to do to set up a bracket for it.

The 1st photo shows the filter base and filter, both obviously from NAPA. I had to pick up a 1/2-1/4 reduction fitting to get the stock hose fittings to work. All told about $91 for everything.

I decided to remove the tool box as it was in the way and if I sell the unit I'll keep that for myself. Once it was gone I pulled the existing filters and bracket. I removed the housings from the bracket then drilled a piece of angle iron and bolted that through a couple of the holes from the filters.

The 4th pic shows the filter base bolted to the angle iron. The triangular piece on the right is what I had to cut off the base to get it to fit inside the angle iron.

Last photo shows it installed. Just eyeballing it, it looks like the ASK panel will fit back on but worst case scenario is that the bottom of the panel might not fit snug.

I still have to replace the last piece of fuel line with the pin holes and figure out the oil leak around the filter but it's at least further along than this time last week.

009.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg010.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks