• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003 Help

BBELL

I have a mep003 that is putting out 160 volts and can't control it with the rheostat. I got the old one to work shortly so i figured it had a bad rheostat. I installed a new one today and no luck still no control. Thanks for any help!

Isaac-1

It is probably the voltage regulator, I am fairly sure the voltage regulators on the MEP-002 and MEP-003 are designed to fail at full voltage, there is a trouble shooting and repair section in the tech manuals.

Ike

BBELL

Thanks for the help so much for simple fix! I will have to read up. Is there a common problem on the regulater that might stand out?

DieselBob

Check out TM5-6115-585-34. pretty good step-by-step trouble shooting. Start on page 2-11 step 18 for "HIGH GENERATOR OUTPUT VOLTAGE (NO LOAD)."

Carl_in_NH

Yes, the common problem with the regulator is a failed output transistor that suffers from a collector-emitter short circuit. It's a $1 part to replace, and really simple if you've got a friend that's into electronics and repair.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks like the others have beat me to it....you got a bad Voltage Regulator. Easy fix and probably cheap. Full schematics and component values in the TM. Good luck, and keep us posted

BBELL

Finally got the voltage regulater back and in. I am ready for hurricane season now. It works perfect! Thanks for everyones help!

Brian

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you repair it or replace it? Where did you buy parts?

BBELL

I had it repaired at a local shop. I can find out all there Info and post it. They also found someone to rewind my 005 voltage regulater main transformer (Said it was to difficult for them). They seem to really know there stuff and have alot of connections.

Brian