• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003, trouble starting

warlord381

I'm having some trouble starting my "new" MEP003a...

Well I got the fuel strainer from Spedmon (thanks again) and installed all the fuel filters,strainer, oil filter, air filter etc. I checked the fuel pumps and all are working fine (strainers are all clean), I filled her up with fresh crankcase oil and bled the fuel system per the TM.

When I finally tried to start her up I turned to "prime/run" and the let the pumps run until they slowed (per the TM) and back to "preheat" for 1 minute.

When I turned to "start" she fired right up and within a few seconds it sounded like she was running consistantly so I released the starter to "run/prime" but she died right away. (also, while cranking she came up to good oil pressure quickly). When the motor stopped I could hear fuel running back into the tank via the return line so I think fuel system should be ok.

I let her rest for 30 seconds or so and tried again, same thing. It seems she runs fine until I release the starter. I feel like I'm missing something really simple here. Any thoughts?

This 003 looks like it had never been fielded, it has 24 hours on the meter so she sat for a long time. The fuel level gauge is inop (havnt messed with it yet). If the float switch is stuck too would that shut her down or does that just switch between the aux fuel and on-board tank?

Polycop

I wonder if the low oil pressure switch might be acting up? It isn't in the circuit while you have the main switch in the cranking position, once you put the main switch in run position the low oil pressure switch is activated. You might try jumpering it to see if that fixes your problem.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unscrew the Control Panel to look behind it. In the upper right-hand corner there is a small relay (starter relay). Make sure it's there. Mine was missing and did the exact same thing as yours. As soon as I replaced that it ran fine.

I have a picture of it on my other computer that I'll post as soon as I get home.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plug where Starter Relay goes. With out the relay you can keep the set running while holding it in the start position but as soon as you release it to "Run" it'll die. I tried all of the tricks like jumping the different saftey switches before a friend pointed out that the relay was missing. I was able to get one from another SS member that was parting a set out.

Attachments

Last edited:

warlord381

GOT IT!!! SHE'S RUNNIN GREAT!!!! It was the low oil pressure switch. I jumpered it and ran her for a minute then took the jumper off and bingo! She starts up just fine now. Thanks guys!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MKCOEN,

Thanks for that pic! I was wondering where K1 was, I was searching everywhere. I didnt realize it was plugged into A1 LOL.
If I'd been looking at the photo on the original post I could have mentioned it but it's been 6 months or so since I did it and was just lucky to recall what section of the panel it was on.

Glad to hear everything started fine. Speddmon is the one to ask about anything generator related. He's the resident guru on all things MEP.

MC

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I'd been looking at the photo on the original post I could have mentioned it but it's been 6 months or so since I did it and was just lucky to recall what section of the panel it was on.

Glad to hear everything started fine. Speddmon is the one to ask about anything generator related. He's the resident guru on all things MEP.

MC

Oh, Stop....you're embarrassing me :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Warlord and I did have a PM going during the starting/running issue. I'm glad to hear that you got her going. They sure are fun little machines to play with.