• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003A Comes Through Again

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The winter storm that is coming through North Georgia has hit us hard. We're in NE Georgia in the Blue Ridge Mountains. We had a lot of snow and ice and lost power at 1:00 AM last night. I fired up my MEP003A and it has been running ever since, now at 15 hours straight, running the whole house. Noisy, but a fantastic unit. Very dependable. Another snow and ice storm is due to hit tonight and it is doubtful the utility power will be restored anytime soon. Glad I invested the money 7 years ago. No breakdowns and has saved the day multiple times. :grin:

jamawieb

That's fantastic! One year we were without power for 7 days and the 002a keep everything going nicely. It's nice to not have to worry about power outages anymore.

Triple Jim

I just started my 003A and ran it for a few minutes to be sure I could. They say the snow and ice pellets will turn to freezing rain here tonight.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I passed dozens of power company trucks from MS in convoys along I-20 in SC and GA in the last two days. Hope the outages are short.

Bill W

I slacked on my 003a this year
I did drain out last years fuel but have yet to fire her up and run some new fuel through her and check out everything else..

CT-Mike

The storm is just starting to hit us in CT. I fire up my -803 last night to put a charge into the batteries and circulate the oil. Hopefully we don't lose power but I'm ready.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diesel fuel is much more stable than gasoline. If your fuel is only a year old, I wouldn't drain it. You can always add some fuel additive as well. I routinely start my MEP003A once per month and keep a trickle charger on it. I also purchased some NOS 24V glow plugs on E-bay real cheap, but haven't needed them. The 24V glow plugs for the MEP002 and 003 have been discontinued, so it's a good idea to grab new ones if you can find them. The same glow plugs in 12V are still manufactured.

Bill W

Diesel fuel is much more stable than gasoline. If your fuel is only a year old, I wouldn't drain it. You can always add some fuel additive as well. I routinely start my MEP003A once per month and keep a trickle charger on it. I also purchased some NOS 24V glow plugs on E-bay real cheap, but haven't needed them. The 24V glow plugs for the MEP002 and 003 have been discontinued, so it's a good idea to grab new ones if you can find them. The same glow plugs in 12V are still manufactured.
Been in the fuel cleaning business for 27 years, yes #2 diesel can go several years and still pass flash and viscositys tests but it does start to break down after a year even with additives ( especially the new ultra low sulfer diesel ) so I go ahead and change out mine each winter to which I have not had to change fuel filters in the last 7 years.

Bill W

OK
nothing like a storm to get ya moving.
Put new fuel in the 003a today and fired her up. readjusted the droop. checked the new battery bracket I just made to fit the 2 group 65 batts that I recently bought for it. ( in the summer they'll come out and go in my Bass boat ). Was gonna do glow plugs that I bought from ZiggyO couple months back but that will have to wait till later being she still fired off pretty good today after sitting almost exactly a year to date.

Always a blessing to have backup power source on hand. I've got a little 831 which will do the basics and cycle stuff to keep us comfy but a bigger system on an auto transfer switch would be a real blessing.

trooper632

I start my 002 up couple times a month with no issues, but this time it started to idle down and running rough wanted to die and finally did. Fired it back up and started doing the same thing so I shut it off, not to sure what the problem is. Havent had time to look at it yet

justacitizen

I start my 002 up couple times a month with no issues, but this time it started to idle down and running rough wanted to die and finally did. Fired it back up and started doing the same thing so I shut it off, not to sure what the problem is. Havent had time to look at it yet

I would start with the fuel system. check to see if the electric fuel pump is operating and check the screen in the bottom of fuel pumps. see if it starts,if it doesn't move to the fuel strainer> drain and clean. see if it will start. then to the fuel filters and so on.

Rapracing

I've not used the 003 yet this year but I have had the 002 running for two outages. The first was about 16 hours and the second time 5 hours. Not long periods of time but it was cold on both occasions so it was great to have heat and lights. Ran the TV some too :wink:

We had gas generator (still have them) and they were a pain and noisy. The wife didn't really like the idea that I wanted to pick these up. She likes them now

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A MEP will be a future investment, but I can't exactly hook it up to the APT building (even though a good one would probably run enough). I was without power for over 30 hours starting Friday afternoon. Toughed out the first night but was in the process of bugging out to a friend's place Sat Night when Is aw the VFW had power, thankfully I have keys and opened it up. Duke Progress says the transformer for our section got water inside and it then froze, which killed the transformer. Then they blew a bunch of fuses when the power came back on...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks