• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep003a D.C. Charging system

Lukes_deuce

Hello everyone, looking for some advice on the D.C. Charging system on my mep003a. The unit runs and operates as it should besides charging the batteries. I read the thread on checking the D.C. System and have come up with the following findings. I'm not sure if the stator is bad or the regulator.

With the unit off, I have 24.5 volts at the regulator. When I start the unit, there is no change in D.C. Voltage. Now I know my fuse is bad as well and I removed that for the time being. Now the check list says check the output from the stator. I have 41.5 to 42 volts AC coming from the stator. Now I'm not an electrical engineer but my friend is. He said that should be an ok output to the regulator since there is no load from the regulator. Does this seem right? I would like to check all my bases before I start throwing parts at the machine. Do stators usually go bad? I know the unit has sat for a few years and was run without batteries as well. I'm hoping it's just the regulator. Let me now what you think. Thanks!

Triple Jim

It would be best to replace the fuse to start with. The regulator output may be a bit erratic without a connection to the battery. Then check the regulator output with the generator running and see what you get. If the battery is low, it could take a few minutes to see the voltage coming up significantly.

Last edited:

Lukes_deuce

Thanks Guyfang. I have looked through the TMs on here. I'm still learning the machine. My fuse holder was smashed when I got the genset, so I never knew there was one until I looked in the TM. I'll wiring in a fuse tonight and see what type of reading I get. Thanks for the help!

Guyfang

Staff member
In all the time I have worked on this model gen set, I have only seen one, count that again, one, stator bad. This part is built to last. If the fuse dosent fix it, then it's the DC regulator. I would bet a large sum of money on it. But check it. Nothing is 100% in this life.

Triple Jim

My money is on the fuse fixing the problem. I don't use a 30A fuse in mine though. The charging system isn't good for more than about seven amps, so a 15A fuse should handle the job fine. It's not a critical thing though.

I appreciate your endorsement, justacitizen.

Lukes_deuce

I went out last night and wired in a new fuse temporarily. After a few attempts to start her up at 27F, I did get some readings. At the wire with the red marking, I had 26.6 volts compared to a reading of 25.4 volts at the batteries. Stator readings were 27.2 to 27.4 volts. Seems that the system is working. Thanks again for all your help!

Triple Jim, Ive heard of your products and their quality. If I need any parts for my generator, you'll be the one I buy from. Thanks for your response and advice.

Triple Jim

I'm glad the fuse was the problem. The voltage will probably keep climbing slowly as you run the generator more. It should not go over about 29 or so.

Thanks, but all I have is AC and DC regulators for the 002A and 003A. Others here can often supply parts at reasonable prices if you need any.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks