• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep003a generator surging

Prettiboinippy

Good afternoon, I have a mep003a generator that is recently started surging and wanna cut off. I see the governor arm keep moving up and down to adjust for the fuel. Any idea for me to troubleshoot or fix this problem? I've recently changed the fuel filter and air filter and oil changed along with filter. I have a video clip that I'll upload along with this post. Thank you for reading and helping also sorry if I've posted it in the wrong section.

Last edited:

Ray70

Sounds to me like you may have gotten air into your fuel system when you did the filters.
Try running the fuel pumps for a good 10 minutes or more with the machine off.
Open the fuel tank and verify that you can hear fuel trickling into the tank while the pumps are running.
Also, did you loosen any fuel lines? I once had this same problem and it was caused by an air leak where the suction line screws onto the tank fitting. When I sealed the fuel tank I didn't tighten the lines good enough ( due to a fitting with bad threads ) and had an air leak. Once the air bubbles reached the IP, the motor started surging. Found the leak, bled out the air and all was good again.

Prettiboinippy

Sounds to me like you may have gotten air into your fuel system when you did the filters.
Try running the fuel pumps for a good 10 minutes or more with the machine off.
Open the fuel tank and verify that you can hear fuel trickling into the tank while the pumps are running.
Also, did you loosen any fuel lines? I once had this same problem and it was caused by an air leak where the suction line screws onto the tank fitting. When I sealed the fuel tank I didn't tighten the lines good enough ( due to a fitting with bad threads ) and had an air leak. Once the air bubbles reached the IP, the motor started surging. Found the leak, bled out the air and all was good again.
Hey Ray, thanks for replying to my post. Im not sure if i had gotten air into the line. It did this before hand too but it wasnt like surging like this and wanting to cut out. So i went ahead and changed out the fuel filter just to be safe if it was clogged. But I'll try to run the pump tomorrow and see if i could bleed out the system.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The vent is in the fuel cap. Its a little bar that has two positions (closed and open). You would just close it if you were travelling with chance of fording.

Take the cap off and just look at the underside, you will see it.

Prettiboinippy

The vent is in the fuel cap. Its a little bar that has two positions (closed and open). You would just close it if you were travelling with chance of fording.

Take the cap off and just look at the underside, you will see it.
Ive just looked under the cap and the vent is im guessing open. When i turned it, it go stiffer so im assuming that it closed when i just turned it.

Prettiboinippy

I've finally had some time to mess with the generator today. I went back and changed out fuel filter and did another oil change along with oil filter. I also poured a bittle of seafoam in the fuel filter canister. And i primed the system for 10 minutes to make sure all the air was bled out of the line. Also heard the fuel returning into the tank. Cranked het up and she is running just fine now. Hopefully that fixes her for good. Also i did changed out the o ring gasket on the fuel filter. I forgot to do that the other day cuz i couldnt find my pick to pick out the old o ring. Im guessing that the old o ring was causing it to leak air into the fuel system. But hopefully i found the culprit and have it taken cared of for good. Thanks all that have responded and helping out!!

Prettiboinippy

I've ran her for an hour today and just turned her off. Im gonna let her sit for a day or two so the seafoam work theit magic in the injectors and fuel lines. Ill crank her again in a day or two and let her run again for an hour or so to make sure she's running fine.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best thing you can do for the set is just run the whole can through the machine and the fuel in it, under a load at LEAST 40%. The closer you can get to full load, the better the job Seafoam will do to your entire fuel system.

Prettiboinippy

Yea i had it running my shop. With over half load cuz i heard that you're supposed to have the engine running at a heavy rate for the seafoam to be able to work its way into all the crack and crevasses.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks