• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003A glow plug conversion to 12Volt

Ray70

I know this is an old post. but............ I was wondering that since most are using two 12 v batteries, could you convert the plugs to 12v, run a circuit (12v) to the plugs, add a switch and heat em up from that switch. Thoughts................?????
You absolutely could. Just pull your 12V off 1 battery instead of 2. In fact you could most likely utilize the current glow plug solenoid and simply run a new feed to it that draws 12V from 1 battery instead of drawing 24V from the terminal strip as it currently does. That would also keep the original functionality of the glow plugs at start main switch.

I would have to consult the wiring diagram to confirm, but I think that would work just fine.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldn’t it be better to run the 12v glow plugs in a series setup? Two in series and the two pairs in parallel? keeps everything 24v from the supply.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The greater question.... why? Is the stock setup no longer working? I would think better time and money spent would be to get the original configuration working properly.

billypop

The greater question.... why? Is the stock setup no longer working? I would think better time and money spent would be to get the original configuration working properly.
I agree but with all the comments on no 24v plugs not being available, I thought this might be an easy solution to warming her up. It beats buying a transformer.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you trying to source plugs for an 003? Which style in the machine are you looking for?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd have to refresh myself via the TM on the wiring schematic, but the LPW2/4 glow plugs in the 80x series are 12V, wired in series like the batteries, for this application. Probably a similar setup on these from memory.

Ray70

Actually on the 002 / 003 I believe it would be impossible to wire in series because the ground is through the cylinder head.
On the 002/003 intake heaters the ground is isolated, allowing them to be wires in series. Same thing with the LPW2/LPW4 intake heaters, they are grounded using ground wires, not the body of the plug, thereby allowing series connections.
I can't think of any easy way to wire the glow plugs in the 002/003 in series.

Ray70

Not a problem.... Unfortunately I also made an error earlier myself.
I had mentioned that running a 12V feed to the solenoid off 1 battery might be the best option, however, I forgot that doing so will send 12V to the intake heaters which are already in series.... resulting in 6V per heater.
You would also need to switch the intake heaters from series to parallel wiring, which would be very simple, so that they get 12V each.

Best bet is to pray for a find of cheap CH42's to come available!
I am out of spares as well and should stock up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks