• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003A Inspection Advice

birdman2

Hi all!

Great site!

I am looking to buy an MEP003A and will be inspecting some units. The seller states these are rebuilt with less then 5 hours still crated.

To get up to speed on these machines I have read as much as possible about them at sites like this, watched YouTube videos, downloaded the service manual, etc.

From previous experience with equipment there are typically a few things to look for when buying a specific model of equipment. Does the model have any known issues to watch for?

I also don't know what the government passes for rebuilt on these units, as in new paint or a complete go through.

I would like to ask members if there are any areas of the generator I should check more closely. Remove this or that cover, dig a little deeper then the new paint job.

Also, assuming all the generators are within the same hours, appear in rebuilt condition, show no signs of abuse is there any criteria for picking one unit over another as in some units an extra option and another did not?

The manual shows there is an older model unit with different oil cooler plumbing. Is newer better or were any changes minor?

I understand some buyers have found units minus starters and injectors. I can check for missing parts, wiring problems, rust inside gas tank, etc.

I have found it's always best to get advice from actual owners who know the machines.

Thanks for any input!

Birdman

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just make sure it runs and puts out the correct voltage and Hz. A simple DMM can check those. Maybe inspect the filter cans if the seller understands you are a serious buyer. Most everything else is basic maint.

Also, do NOT run the machines at idle. It will cause problems with the voltage reg. Start it and get it up to operating rpm right away.

Isaac-1

I don't have one of these units, but most common reported problems seem to be the injection pumps (sometimes have frozen up shafts from storage), also frequency meters being bad, and output breaker problems seem somewhat common.

Ike