• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003a Laundry Flex Pipes or alternative

SteveH

Does anyone know where I can pick up a set of the stainless flex muffler pipes for the MEP003a? (I'm wondering if anyone might have a set they're looking to get rid of)

Alternatively, has anyone advice on parts I can use to connect to the threaded muffler on the unit?

I'm planning on installing the MEP within a small shed, and want to exit the exhaust, preferably with something fairly flexible so the shed can be 'lift off' in case of major maintenance task. The MEP will also have ASK fitted.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Jimc

the exhaust is standard 1 1/4" pipe thread. you can get fittings right from home depot or plumbing supply. a 1 1/4" union would be an easy way to disconnect the exhaust from the unit

storeman

If it is the stainless flex pipe you are looking for, be prepared to dig deep. 3 came with my laundry unit and I'm using all 3 between my 003a and the 002a. I had bought flex exhaust hose from Advance and used it and did aluminum tape to the exhaust fittings. Pricey and common steel which rusts quickly. I suspect stainless flex is much more expensive. Good luck.
Jerry:beer:

3dAngus

Does anyone know where I can pick up a set of the stainless flex muffler pipes for the MEP003a? (I'm wondering if anyone might have a set they're looking to get rid of)

Alternatively, has anyone advice on parts I can use to connect to the threaded muffler on the unit?

I'm planning on installing the MEP within a small shed, and want to exit the exhaust, preferably with something fairly flexible so the shed can be 'lift off' in case of major maintenance task. The MEP will also have ASK fitted.

Thanks in advance
Steve
Yeah, I've got some of those stainless flex pipes around here somewhere. I saved them from my MEP-003 that was on my laundry unit. Love those things. Not sure how many I have but there must be two of them. They would screw directly into the exhaust of the Generator and run the exhaust fumes away from the gen set. Also have the 55 gal drum fuel adapter that drops down into the drum for an external fuel tank. PM me and make me an offer on the stainless. Shipping would be actual charges. I'll pack them up for free.

Jimc

i looked that up and only one is avail in stainless. the metal thickness is .005". thats about like the flexible dryer vent hose from the local home depot. not sure i would consider that for exhaust. maybe there is another one listed there that im not seeing.

3dAngus

Mine are the Mil-Spec variety. I tried to find them and saw at least one in my pipe and acoustical generator panel pile.
I'll have to look in the daylight to see if I can find the other. These are still coiled and tied and never used.

Triple Jim

3dAngus' deal sounds great, but for future reference, Summit Racing is another option. A short piece of stainless flex pipe and the rest of the run in solid tubing or pipe might be the way to go for cost. Like Jim C. said, a union at the muffler connection would make removal quick when needed.

Last edited:

SteveH

Yeah, I've got some of those stainless flex pipes around here somewhere. I saved them from my MEP-003 that was on my laundry unit. Love those things. Not sure how many I have but there must be two of them. They would screw directly into the exhaust of the Generator and run the exhaust fumes away from the gen set. Also have the 55 gal drum fuel adapter that drops down into the drum for an external fuel tank. PM me and make me an offer on the stainless. Shipping would be actual charges. I'll pack them up for free.
Thanks. PM Sent....

SteveH

Mine are the Mil-Spec variety. I tried to find them and saw at least one in my pipe and acoustical generator panel pile.
I'll have to look in the daylight to see if I can find the other. These are still coiled and tied and never used.
I'm curious about the "acoustical generator panel pile" - are these spare bits and pieces of MEP ASK kits? (in which case I'm good - I managed to pick up a new one); or are they general soundproofing materials? (I'm considering replacing the fibreglass in my ASK with something more effective - perhaps mass loaded vinyl - without breaking the bank.

3dAngus

The Laundry unit has built in braces and holders for acoustical panels to deflect the noise away from people doing laundry up on the trailer. They are designed to minimize the sound around the generator. They are far more robust then the acoustical padding you find in the ASK systems, but are not sealed like the ASK is, which makes a big difference. These panels came in different sizes and would slide in and out of the rails built to hold them in place. You can see them in the Laundry Unit Tech manual. They are about 2 1/2 " thick and honey combed pattern on one side and flat panel on the other. I believe they are all aluminum but may be mistaken.
Now that I dont have a generator I would love to sell them to someone who does but am afraid the shipping would be a burden to bear.
It would have to go freight. That usually means about $150-200 in freight cost for the volume. The weight is not much, being aluminum honeycomb.