• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003A Starts Hard, Black smoke, runs 10 seconds, white smoke, then Dies....Ideas?

smrcom

Bought a nice looking MEP003A. Drained very nasty old fuel, purged high pressure injector lines, pulled injectors, verified good spray pattern on all 4 injectors. Installed new injector gaskets, verified all four glow plugs working. Cleaned return fuel lines. Unit will start if you pre-heat the glow plugs for 30 seconds.....cranks nice and fast, but cranks a long time before catching....goes from a small amount of blueish smoke, to white smoke, catches then belches black smoke, smoke cleans up...comes up to speed, stays at speed for about 8 seconds, then white smoke out of exhaust and dies. Seems like its starving for fuel. Pulled the one way check valve out of low pressure supply fuel line. Valve lash adjusted (.007 intake and .010 exhaust) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!

Isaac-1

Sounds like something in the injection pump, you might try flow timing it and see if it has the wrong timing button, or worse.

jamawieb

Sounds like something in the injection pump, you might try flow timing it and see if it has the wrong timing button, or worse.
I agree with Isaac, it's going to be the pump. I've had a couple that I received with the wrong timing buttons which had similar symptoms.

jamawieb

Bought a nice looking MEP003A. Drained very nasty old fuel, purged high pressure injector lines, pulled injectors, verified good spray pattern on all 4 injectors. Installed new injector gaskets, verified all four glow plugs working. Cleaned return fuel lines. Unit will start if you pre-heat the glow plugs for 30 seconds.....cranks nice and fast, but cranks a long time before catching....goes from a small amount of blueish smoke, to white smoke, catches then belches black smoke, smoke cleans up...comes up to speed, stays at speed for about 8 seconds, then white smoke out of exhaust and dies. Seems like its starving for fuel. Pulled the one way check valve out of low pressure supply fuel line. Valve lash adjusted (.007 intake and .010 exhaust) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!
smcrom, just curious if you worked out the issues with your generator?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks