• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP004a runs and produces power but all gauges read zero

sewerzuk

So...just picked up one of the MEP-004a's that I won at last weeks auction at Ft. Lewis; spent the morning purging the fuel system, changing filters, oil, etc. I hit the starter and she started right up within a few seconds!

All of the engine systems gauges work fine; coolant temp, oil pressure, etc. all operate as expected. However, NONE of the generator's gauges are operating...frequency is at the low peg, no volts regardless of switch position. I simply assumed that the set wasn't producing power, but I hooked my fluke up to the generator side of the main breaker and it is producing 208 volts.
So, before I spend hours trying to sort this one out, has anybody run into this before? I'm sure I'll figure it out, but would prefer to save some time by using somebody else's experience instead of aua

Some additional symptoms:

1. The set's "reverse power" warning light comes on a few seconds after the set comes up to speed (switches are set up for local operation). This can be reset, however it comes back on seemingly at random.

2. The Thermal Watt Transducer A1 has its magic goo dripping out of the bottom...but I believe that if it wasn't functioning it would only affect the power meter (which I would expect to be at zero, since the set is unloaded). I've seen a couple of sets with this problem, and the transducer still seems to function anyway...

3. The main circuit breaker won't close (no control power?)

4. The voltage adjust rheostat (on the control panel) works fine; it will go from roughly 180-260volts (measured with my DVOM on the gen side of the main breaker).

5. Battleshort switch operates as expected (light comes on and fuel pumps turn on). Placing the switch in battleshort still doesn't allow me to close the main breaker

In the meantime...I'm off to Napa to pick up some belts, hoses, filters, etc....

Last edited:

sewerzuk

I simply assumed that the set wasn't producing power, but I hooked my fluke up to the generator side of the main breaker and it is producing 208 volts.
Somtimes you have to excite the staiter to start it providing electricity if you ge the TM it will Tell you how.

Kevin
The field is flashed during the startup process by the start/run/stop switch.

This set is actually producing power; I just can't close the main breaker and the AC meters read zero...hoping there is a single fault causing all of the problems.

I will dive into it tonight...just hoping to have some suggestions to get the gears turning before I start.

PeterD

Sounds a bit odd, doesn't it... Check to see if you have any power at the utility outlet. I don't think it needs to be flashed (you do know how to start them, which since the gauges don't work is really hard!)

SFGABN@5th

Ok I see. somtimes on this older units thay retrofited them with a new control board its about 4" x 6 " and there is two pins you have to cross when thay sit along time . Had one of these in the service for our sesec99 van and that got it going its in the TM let you close the switch and the meter would work its worth a try.

kevin

sewerzuk

OK...so I actually had a bad voltmeter, a bad frequency meter, and a bad main circuit breaker...didn't really expect that many separate problems, but at least it wasn't complicated. Spare parts installed, load test later today...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks