• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP016a problem

johnnybgoode

MEP016b problem

Afternoon guys,
New to me 016B has a problem I'm trying to track down.
Previous owner says he had it making power, then one day it just stopped producing - was powering a well pump. I bought it cheap, just for the motor if nothing else.

It starts and runs fine, motor sounds good and shows less than 50 on the hour meter. I know, might not be true...

When I go to shut it down using the rotary control switch it does not shut off. I actuate the fuel shutoff manually and it quits, of course, but electrically it just won't do anything. I have looked through the troubleshooting sections of the manuals but they do not address this strange problem. I am thinking/hoping it might be one problem keeping it from generating and also from shutting down, (ground perhaps?) but any guidance on where to begin is appreciated. My thought was to try to correct this problem first and then begin trying to track down why it won't make power.

Have an 003 hooked to the house as a backup and am fairly handy with diesels - 2 Cummins Dodges ('93 D250 and a '99 Dakota, yup, a Dakota).
Thanks for any assistance!
Patrick

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I have worked on the 016A, lots. Please take a picture of the rotary control switch, and post it. I did not know it had one. To stop the 016A, you flip the switch on the points cover.

jamawieb

Check the plug at the actuator. Sometimes they come loose, also check and see if you are getting zero volts when the switch is in the off position. Really simple machines, if you didn't know, you can flip the top of the gauge cover up and have full access to the electronics. Makes life a lot easier.

Guyfang

Staff member
Yeah, now we're cooking with gas. Sorry, I had a senior moment. Yep, need to see if you have 24 volts at the start switch, when running, then see if it goes to 0 volts in the off position. Will it stop if you pop CB-2?

johnnybgoode

Well, I finally had a chance to take a look at it today and it was a no-brainer. The solenoid was frozen in the "off" position and when I freed it up and adjusted the stopnut and the travel it started making power just like it should. I'll have to study the schematic to see if this makes sense electrically, but that's the story.
Not bad for a $300 gamble!
Thanks guys!
Patrick

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks